Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in america

Options
  • 27-06-2008 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Okay im looking at picking up a chap laptop as im in the states someting in the $400-500 range!! What proplems might i encounter and any tips on how to overcome these ??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

two words tax and duty, coming back into country . you could make it look like you brought it over. bring oer an old laptop bag. put files on it and get rid of all packaging.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I wouldn't ever bother with the old laptop bag, but post the receipts back by registered mail or something. Don't bring home manuals or boxes. Get them to throw in a good laptop bag with your purchase. Buy as good a one as you can afford with the current exchange rate. Obviously ignore any extended warranties. See does your warranty only cover the USA or worldwide.

I believe that border security can ask to view material on the laptop (homeland security and all that), so if you have any family videos you don't want to explain delete them.

Go for the name brands obviously for spare batteries / chargers down the way. Make sure you get or have the facility to burn recovery discs. The usual stuff.

If you want to go gaming with this, decide before you buy. You'll want a very good standalone graphics card.

Tell the salesperson you're on a visit and won't be back. Best offer now or you walk. Then walk, there are loads of places to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

TommyGun wrote: »
    two words tax and duty, coming back into country . you could make it look like you brought it over. bring oer an old laptop bag. put files on it and get rid of all packaging.

In all the years I am travelling to and from the US, I have never once either been stopped, nor heard of anyone being stopped at the airport because of a laptop. One time I even came back with two laptops (one I bought there, one work laptop).

So this is a complete and utter myth. If you have more than, say 4 or 5, perhaps, but one laptop, I would be most surprised if you were stopped.

Advertisement