Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What channels are on freesat and what is needed?

Options
  • 26-06-2008 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I might be moving down to Gowran Kilkenny soon and am looking to find out what is available in the area. I'm currently on NTL and was thinking that I'd like to try Freesat for the HD side of things. But what channels are there and what is needed to set it up in terms of costs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

You need one of these for Freesat HD:

http://tinyurl.com/69awob

Oh and obviously a HD tv.

For channels, check out www.freesat.co.uk and for more info, check out the freesat forum over at http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142

mj

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Or if your up for a HDTV upgrade (and a drive up north!)
    Pick yourself up an Panasonic Viera PZ81.
    Built in freesat receiver (you just need the dish)

Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

So what about FTV, I know it's different to FTA. If I can get a FTV card, can I then insert this into my Sky box and get the channels. ( I already have a Sky dish with one STB used for Sky+ and the other STB in the bedroom ). OR can I get a Sat Receiver, because of the EPG listing
    (e.g. http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/DIY_satellite_systems.html ) and then insert my FTV in this STB ?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

batman2000 wrote: »
    So what about FTV, I know it's different to FTA. If I can get a FTV card, can I then insert this into my Sky box and get the channels. ( I already have a Sky dish with one STB used for Sky+ and the other STB in the bedroom ). OR can I get a Sat Receiver, because of the EPG listing
    (e.g. http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/DIY_satellite_systems.html ) and then insert my FTV in this STB ?
    Yes, FTV card will go into Sky box. It won't work on a FTA box.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,522 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

FTV really only adds Five group channels & Sky3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭leex

Is there RF out on any of these FREESAT boxes? Doesn't seem to be on the Humax HD box I looked at.

TV's won't have analogue RF and Digital RF (DTT) is too expensive. If there is an RF out, it should just be a loop, and only on Freeview, not Freesat.

Only SCART and HDMI makes sense. The Tv of the future either a Media Centre or a Monitor only, either way you won't use an Analogue Modulator.

My reasoning for RF out is for feeding to other TV's in House - avoids need for a box at each TV point. I would indeed be using HDMI at the main TV point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I don't think any of the boxes have RF In/Out. The Bush HD I have doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

As long as you want to watch the same channel at every tv

leex wrote: »
    My reasoning for RF out is for feeding to other TV's in House - avoids need for a box at each TV point.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

The point is that shortly new TVs won't have analogue RF in. Only Digital. Esp. in the UK.

Thanks Guys. No worries. I have 3 lcd tv's purchased in recent times which all have RF in. It is not practical to have a box at all of them. I guess I can use an RF modulator anyway.

I pipe DVD around the house also using an RF modulator. Unfortunately a lot of the new items with scart and hdmi out won't allow the 2 to work simultaneously which means I need to now use 2 dvd players where as one used to do the trick where I could use component out to main TV and scart out to modulator and then to all TV's in house.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

byte wrote: »
    Yes, FTV card will go into Sky box. It won't work on a FTA box.
    Is the 'getting' of an FTV card the same as getting a Sky card in the old days? i.e. a UK address, if your not a Sky sub? I may have missed this in the various FTV threads, if so sorry for asking....

Bye, Barry

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

BarryM wrote: »
    Is the 'getting' of an FTV card the same as getting a Sky card in the old days? i.e. a UK address, if your not a Sky sub? I may have missed this in the various FTV threads, if so sorry for asking....

Bye, Barry
    Yea, that's pretty much it. Ring the Freesat from Sky number on their site, using the UK address. you'll probably need a credit card with you too.

www.freesatfromsky.co.uk

Advertisement