Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding an English Springer pup

Options
  • 26-06-2008 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I got an English Springer bitch pup recently and she is now 10 weeks old. I am just wondering what should I now be feeding her. I have been giving her rusks in milk, baby rice etc and need to know if she should now be eating a little more or even something different.

Comments

i honestly cant remember . Its 15 years ago since i got mine but she passed just before christmas :(

Best of luck with the first 4 years by they way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

i'd feed on mince and chicken(not bones) and also dry food thats has been softend and mashed.
    i wouldnt bother with rusks etc... just my opinion. keep the diet as natural as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Sorry to hear that..... is there something I should know about the first 4 years?:confused::confused:

By "dry food thats has been softend and mashed" what exactly do you mean whitser?

complete puppy food that you get in a pet shop. soak it in water and when its softened mash it up. personally i give pups as much meat as possible,like i said mince and chicken. i've bred and kept working springers and i always fed pups on meat. but dry food also.

• Advertisement

google "barf diet for dogs" and read what you can about it. some dont think its good but i swear by it. its Bones And Raw Food diet, thats what i use for pups and dogs, its basically what they've evolved to eat. but good dry complete food is the next best thing,in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭i_hate_rain

I dont think dogs are supposed to have milk, think they are allergic like cats
    Could be wrong though

I dont think dogs are supposed to have milk, think they are allergic like cats
    Could be wrong though
    i use powdered lambs milk when weening pups. cows milk is not great for them.

Must head to the petshop before it closes
    so lads. Cheers for the help

go to the butchers as well and get some nice protein filled mince for the pup.:)

• Advertisement

yeah the first 4 years they have alot of puppy energy . I mean alot :D Its great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Whitser is correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

denisoc16 wrote: »
    what should I now be feeding her. I have been giving her rusks in milk, baby rice etc and need to know if she should now be eating a little more or even something different.

I'm not being smart but she is a puppy, not a human baby.
    She needs puppy food.

She is gorgeous by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

aww, she's really cute.

about the diet, you should be aiming for a natural diet so basically avoid any supermarket foods i.e. winalot or pedigree etc! Get her a good quality, natural food like Burns or Royal Canin etc or start her on a home-made fresh diet of fresh meat etc. (you could probably mix in some of the fresh stuff with the good dry food for extra taste for her) you can buy most of the good, natural brands of food from your Vet or maybe the Pet Shop.

Advertisement