Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable Thunderbird

Options
  • 26-06-2008 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

I was recently considering start to use a portable version of Thunderbird.

Basically, I use Thunderbird at home. When I'm not at home I use Webmail as normal. I much prefer using a client, so I was going to install a portable version of Thunderbird on my USB flash drive (which is always with me). So then whenever I want to check my mail, using my client, I just plug in the USB regardless of where I am.

Can anybody spy any downfalls to this plan??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

There are no downfalls unless you use a badly coded addon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Sherifu wrote: »
    There are no downfalls unless you use a badly coded addon.

sweeeet...any recommendations??

sweeeet...any recommendations??
    I use this one without any problems.

much obliged!! :D

Right so I have gone with that one. Installed, set everything up, and it appears as though inbounds are functioning correctly alright.

However, when I try to send an outbound mail I get the following failure message;

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server has responded:
    http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=63.228.185.162. Please check the message recipients and try again.

Clicked ok that and got the following further message;

Sending of message failed.
    The message could not be sent because the connecting to SMTP server smtp.mysmart.ie failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.

So it's fairly obvious that my account settings aren't working. Thing is, why?? These are the settings I have always used, and worked perfectly from Outlook while fixed on my home PC. Why are they not working now that I've gone portable??

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you're not currently on a Smart network location, you will likely not be able to use their SMTP server.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

The outgoing messages are going to fail as you are using the smtp settings for smart telecom.

Try use the settings for gmail. Gmail allows stmp traffic from any bb provider.

You will need a gmail account of course, and it needs to be configured to send mail from gmail so it looks like it comes from your smart telecom address.

EDIT: Too slow :(

I use an eircom.net eMail account. My broadband provider at home is Smart. So, is it not possible for me to use Thunderbird Portable with this eMail account?? I'd like to stick with my eMail address as it is if possible...had it for years...

You just need to change the SMTP settings to those of the network you are on, or use a third party one. Most ISPs limit their SMTP server use to only people on their network.

So is there one I can change it to that will work regardless of what network I'm on??

• Advertisement

So is there one I can change it to that will work regardless of what network I'm on??
    Yes, one like gmail as suggested.

So I can change my SMTP to gmail's without using a gmail account??

Anybody know what this is??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Just sign up for gmail. it costs you nothing.

You will need to have a Gmail account to be able to authenticate to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Would that Gmail redirect thing solve this does anyone know?

Is what you're saying that you can basically have a gmail account and use it as the server, so I can use my @eircom.net email, through gmail, through thunderbird, without anyone ever seeing an @gmail.com email addy?

:o

Would be worth a shot. Gmail may have their own restrictions on what can pass through their SMTP server, but it definately looks like you are having the same issue when off the Eircom network.

cormie wrote: »
    Is what you're saying that you can basically have a gmail account and use it as the server, so I can use my @eircom.net email, through gmail, through thunderbird, without anyone ever seeing an @gmail.com email addy?
    Correct

Right, so I have a gmail account set up. What exactly do I do now?? Sorry if I should be following this a lil easier but I can't say I'm familiar with this concept.

What should I now change my account settings in Thunderbird to?? I still can't see how I'm going to be able to use my eircom email through the gmail server.

Anyone able to walk me through what to do now??

Right, so I have a gmail account set up. What exactly do I do now?? Sorry if I should be following this a lil easier but I can't say I'm familiar with this concept.

What should I now change my account settings in Thunderbird to?? I still can't see how I'm going to be able to use my eircom email through the gmail server.

d4953270a0210312d34fc1ef9e5f55e2.jpg

Link

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info, will have a go later and bug evil-monkey for help if he sets it up right :p

OK, I've tried this and it just uses the gmail account. ie. the recipient of the mail gets it from my gmail account rather than my eircom one...

I set up a gmail account and replaced the server settings in thunderbird with that of gmail, but still can't receive my eircom mail :(

Well normal inbounds and outbounds send and receive, but the problem I have now is;

Outbounds are sent in the name of my gmail account. Thus people will reply to that eMail (and think it's my eMail address, which it's not).

So...what to do, what to do...

Well normal inbounds and outbounds send and receive, but the problem I have now is;

Outbounds are sent in the name of my gmail account. Thus people will reply to that eMail (and think it's my eMail address, which it's not).

So...what to do, what to do...
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=22370

Sherifu wrote: »

That would probably do the trick alright. I don't know, this is getting messy. Maybe I should just switch to gmail altogether. Thing is all the good account names are taken...

That would probably do the trick alright. I don't know, this is getting messy. Maybe I should just switch to gmail altogether. Thing is all the good account names are taken...
    You can manage up to 5 accounts from gmail, it will fetch the mail and let you send as if from those accounts. It's a walk in the park.

Advertisement