Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13E + 28.2E + 28.5E - on one dish - possible?

Options
  • 26-06-2008 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I need to receive channels from
    HotBird 7A 13 E
    HotBird 6 13 E
    HotBird 13 E
    HotBird 8 13 E
    Eurobird 1 28.5 E
    Astra 2A 28.2 E

Can I do this using one dish + 1 receiver?

Please suggest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 peadar99

Yes, that's definitely possible - you'd need a medium sized dish - 80cm should do it - and a couple of LNBs.
    You need separate LNBs for each satellite group you want to point at - the 3 Hotbird Satellites at 13E will all come in on one LNB - the Eurobird/Astra Satellites at 28.2/28.5 are close enough to do the same on a second LNB.
    You'll need to set up a bracket to hold more than one LNB, and, if you want the signal from all of them to come into the same receiver, have a Disecq switch to join them up.

If you're after Hotbird and Astra2/Eurobird, you should be able to get the Astra 19.2 E as well, since that's in between them.
    I have a similar setup to what you're after which has all three on one 80cm dish, with a quad LNB for Astra 28.2/Eurobird 28.5, and a twin LNB each for the Hotbird 13.0 and Astra 19.2 - I've merged them together using Disecq switches for two receivers, though I haven't got round to setting up a third/fourth receiver as yet. The dish is pointed at 19.2 (with one LNB), with a bracket to hold the other two LNBs out a bit from that.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Cheers,
    Peadar.

Forgot to mention - an alternative would be to stick a diseqc motor on the dish instead - you'd get all the satellites on the one LNB then - it'd take a wee while to swing round if it needed to change satellite, but it'd work ok. Seeing as you're just after one receiver, that might be a way to go for you.
    One thing though - I don't think it'd work too well with Sky receivers or Dishes...

Peadar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

peadar99 wrote: »
    One thing though - I don't think it'd work too well with Sky receivers or Dishes...

Peadar.

i have a sky dish and sky receiver at home with expired subscription
    can i connect to all the above satellites using sky dish?

please advice what I need to buy now?
    just a motor?

You might be out of luck on that score, so.
    Far as I know, Sky receivers don't know what to do with diseqc, either motors or switches.
    Equally, the Sky LNBs don't have the same standard fitting as regular ones, so you would find it tricky to add extra ones on a bracket. [Don't know that it's impossible, just it'd be difficult.]

What you could probably do is swap your Sky receiver for a different one [e.g. cheapo Lidl one] and try and set up a motor on your dish - I doubt you'd be able to set up several separate LNBs on the Sky-sized dish.
    You'd lose FTV channels which weren't also FTA by doing that, but there aren't that many of those now since Channel 4 et al. went FTA.

I don't have any Sky kit myself, so all the above is from reading the forum, but there may be other contributors who have better suggestions.

Cheers,
    Peadar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

28.2E + 28.5E are too close together.

you need 3 degrees of separation for LNBs

get a motor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Pal wrote: »
    28.2E + 28.5E are too close together.

you need 3 degrees of separation for LNBs

get a motor.
    Rubbish. Close enough to be regarded as one orbital position unless you have a HUGE dish. Everybody who has sky is pulling them both in on one lnb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BIRCH

Hello All,
    I am in the UK and a newbie to anything satelite. I have Sky+ and standard Sky in differnt rooms. The sky dish has a quad LNB with only one free slot. Now I want to receive signal from a satelite: HotBird6 13* East. I do not want to use sky receiver for this nor do I want it merged with the sky package by switch (it is for a third room). My question then is, can I possibly have the two sets of LNB on one non-Sky dish and still get good reception for both?
    As in will it be possible to take out the sky quad LNB and add it along side another LNB (for the HotBird6 13* East) to a 80 - 110 cm dish; pointing them in different directions?
    If it is possible, what is the name of the structure for holding two LNBs to one dish?

Thank you.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes it would be possible, using a bigger dish (80cm+) and a Multi-LNB bracket compatible with the dish.

Another option would be just using a seperate 80cm dish for Hotbird usage, and a DiSEqC switch to combine the output from that, along with the spare output of Skydish and send to new receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,522 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I saw this Visiosat dish in Urlan TV in Limerick for €149 recently.
    It's setup for 13E + (28.2E + 28.5E) + 19.2E

Other versions of Visiosat dishes here

Hi,
    Sky UK is on Astra 2A/2B/2C/2D & Eurobird 1 at 28.2°E.
    Does any one know by how many degrees the farthest of these is from HotBird6 13* East? I think the most that is possible with most multi-LNB brackets is 20 degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

BIRCH wrote: »
    Hi,
    Sky UK is on Astra 2A/2B/2C/2D & Eurobird 1 at 28.2°E.
    Does any one know by how many degrees the farthest of these is from HotBird6 13* East? I think the most that is possible with most multi-LNB brackets is 20 degrees.
    Well, 28.2 less 13 gives seperation of 15.2

It'll be no problem on a Triax dish and multi-LNB bracket anyway.

Hi Byte,
    Thanks for your answers.

As britain is a windy country, I was contemplating a 100cm mesh but there seems to be reception issues with it. Does any one know if it will indeed be a great risk to use a mesh rather than a solid one; especially with two LNBs be put on the mesh? I am a bit worried that a solid 100cm one will be too heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

The wind load on a 100cm mesh is not much different from a 100cm solid. Use a solid dish.

Advertisement