Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paying too much for .ie domains

Options
  • 26-06-2008 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi there

i have a few .ie domain names a bought a good while ago. around the time it cost 60-70 euro.
    however now most resellers seem to be selling them for 20-30 euro

should the host not reduce the price of the domains in line with current market prices ?

what have you guys done ? - content in paying x2 or x3 times the current market price ?

Tnx
    Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

There is no obligation on them to keep up with the market price. If you are unhappy with your price, just transfer the domain to a cheaper registrar. You might want to clarify the duration the reduced price will be in place for also, i.e. you transfer now but the prices are hiked up for your renewal next year.

Also dont just go for the cheapest price, factors such as support and customer service need to be considered. Even so, your price does seem very high.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

The 20-30 euro is a "first year" offer to the best of my knowledge.

Back up to 50-60 thereafter.

Would be nice if it was cheaper, but to be honest I covet my .ie's more as a result of the trouble one has to go through to get them (compared to .com/.net/.org) and the price.

I think it's an excellent way of pricing idle squatters out of domain hoarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

CuLT wrote: »
    Back up to 50-60 thereafter.

Er don't think so ? ... depending on the provider of course

forbairt wrote: »
    Er don't think so ? ... depending on the provider of course
    If not I'll be transferring my domains soon. Feel kinda screwed over with the charges for my own personal .ie considering other registrars prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

CuLT wrote: »
    If not I'll be transferring my domains soon. Feel kinda screwed over with the charges for my own personal .ie considering other registrars prices.

Bang sales on one of those companies who shall not be named a mail asking.

From reading their pricing my understanding is its 20 - 30 per year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I was of the understanding its 20-30 per year also.. been paying a little under 30 per year for a while now but moved to a more cheaper provider. Iv asked some companies why they wont reduce their prices, and they just say it isnt fessable for them. *shrrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

LetsHost is one of the few companies that goes with the same-rate-renewal (rather than the current rate). A few have dabbled in low price 1st-year-only and a promotional period (without mentioning that!). Most, nowadays, seem to go with the 1 rate for all. I've a registration-only price comparison in my blog if you're interested.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

cgarvey wrote: »
    LetsHost is one of the few companies that goes with the same-rate-renewal (rather than the current rate). A few have dabbled in low price 1st-year-only and a promotional period (without mentioning that!). Most, nowadays, seem to go with the 1 rate for all. I've a registration-only price comparison in my blog if you're interested.

Out of curiosity, what's your connection with LetsHost? I remember you defending / plugging them a few times on Boards..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Sully wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what's your connection with LetsHost? I remember you defending / plugging them a few times on Boards..

I am a customer of theirs (and every other significant Irish hoster). And, in case it wasn't obvious, my previous point was a criticism of LetsHost, not defense/praise!

cgarvey wrote: »
    I am a customer of theirs (and every other significant Irish hoster). And, in case it wasn't obvious, my previous point was a criticism of LetsHost, not defense/praise!
    Careful now cg, you might be getting some threatening calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

The IEDR has different "Tables"... depending on how many domains a registrar has the IEDR sells the domains to them at a lower price. That is why the larger companies are cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

nikimere wrote: »
    The IEDR has different "Tables"... depending on how many domains a registrar has the IEDR sells the domains to them at a lower price. That is why the larger companies are cheaper.

That's completely incorrect.

ALL IE resellers pay the same price whether they are managing 200 IE domains or 10 thousand.

Advertisement