Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port Tunnel or M50

Options
  • 26-06-2008 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi folks, apologies if this isn't the right place to post this message. I'm after a bit of local knowledge if anyone can provide it.
    We'll be driving down from County Antrim to Rosslare next Thursday to catch the ferry from Rosslare to France. We'll probably hit Dublin between 8am and 9.
    Last year on the same journey we bypassed Dublin via the M50 which involved much queuing and delays for roadworks.
    I'm considering going through the Port Tunnel, 12 euro would be a small price to pay if it lessened the journey time for 2 under fives!
    What does anyone reckon? Would it be a quicker option than the M50 ring road? Is it hard to get back onto the road south when you exit the tunnel?
    Many thanks
    B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I'd think the Port Tunnel will be well worth it. You'll come out near the East Link and for a further 1.60 cross that and keep heading South. You'll be going against the traffic so it will be a relaxed journey.

I used it the odd time when I worked in Donnybrook. Great for a one off but you couldn't do it daily because of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

It probably would be quicker to use the Port Tunnel.

After exiting it go across the East Link bridge, then follow Sean Moore Road, before turning left onto Strand Road in Irishtown. Follow that road until Merrion Gates (probably the only potential hold up) and then left onto Rock Road. Keep straight onto Stradbrook Road, Deans Grange Road and Clonkeen Road and eventually you'll reach the N11. It's fully signposted along the route in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

do you really need to be hitting dublin that early - check in for irish ferries isn't until 1600 and its only ~2 hours from Dublin to Rosslare. Aim to hit Dublin around 11 and the traffic will be much lighter (still leaves time to stop for lunch and delays).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 balloo77

Thanks for the replies folks. Now I know the port tunnel is a viable option we'll keep a check on the traffic reports on the way down.The early start is as much about getting through the roadworks in Belfast before the rush hour on the first part of the journey. Our 4 year old daughter is prone to car sickness but is usually ok with a combination of toast and water for breakfast, a kwells tablet, main roads and not too many tailbacks! Much trial and error was involved in finding this formula...
    Allowing most of the day for the trip down means we can stop a few times for an hour or so if needs be if she's not feeling great...
    Thanks again for the advice and directions.
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I think using the port tunnel would be a bad idea in this case. Once you get past the toll bridge in the M50 it should be ok. The M50 will dump you straight onto the M11 and then onto the N11. The port tunnel will leave you having to go through parts of the city which might be prone to traffic jams at that time of the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,298 ✭✭✭✭Victor

penexpers wrote: »
    I think using the port tunnel would be a bad idea in this case. Once you get past the toll bridge in the M50 it should be ok. The M50 will dump you straight onto the M11 and then onto the N11. The port tunnel will leave you having to go through parts of the city which might be prone to traffic jams at that time of the morning.
    I would tend to ageee. Its a lot easier to get lost in the city than on the M50.

But the tunnel does have a novelty factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

The M50 might be OK southbound between 8 am & 9 am. But it's often very slow between Tallaght and Firhouse around that time of the morning (sometimes slow until Dundrum/Sandyford).

On the other hand - the tunnel itself should be quick enough but once you're through there and over the East Link you run the risk of getting stuck at Merrion Gates, and any number of junctions between the East Link & N11.

So....I'll suggest the M50. Yes it can be slow but it's more straightforward, as pointed out it dumps you onto the N11 at the southern end.
    But the tunnel does have a novelty factor.

It does and I grinned like a very happy child the one time I drove through it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Hi balloo

if you don't mind the fee, take the tunnel.

the M50 is mostly roadworks at the moment, so should be avoided. getting out/stopping won't be possible in many places. its not a very pleasant driving experience either, going through all that chaos what with the rough surface, construction noise, slow traffic etc etc.

but the tunnel is great! it will be mostly empy as usual, and you will be through it in less than 5 minutes. the east link bridge will be busy, but that'll probably be the worst of it. you'll be going against the flow after that, so should be relatively ok.

then just follow the signs for the N11.

Advertisement