Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint/Varnish for interior of campervan

Options
  • 26-06-2008 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have recently finished converting a camper van and im looking to finish the storage units and seating with in white colour. I have seen some bathrooms with wood painted in a white/clear varnish. I also need something water proof to protect from any damp or leaks.
    Does anyone know what this type of finish/treatment is called?
    All the best,
    kieran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

In the States it is called 'pickling' , here I think it is called 'liming'

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/fauxpicklingwood

I'd practice on some scrap wood before you tackle your van, also if you are making the mix yourself , make enough in one go to do the whole job.

I'm fairly sure Ronseal make ready mixed stuff that you can buy in the likes of Woodies etc. Polyurethane or varnish as a topcoat will make give it a yellow tinge so if you want the white look go for a water based product. 'Diamond Coat' is one I've used in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Murray13

Yes thats the stuff, thanks for the info Fingalian. I will let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Hi Murray13,
    Was that a regular van you converted into a campervan? Sounds interesting. What sort of work is involved in that?
    F.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Murray13

Hey Finn,
    I started out with a 16 seater mini bus, '95 transit, ripped out all seats and flooring, put down ply, lino(to keep the water out) and carpet tiles. Next i put in two long benches on either side of the van these double as seating/bed and storage. I built the seats using basic joinery(mortice and tennons) covered these with ply. the table standes on one leg between the benches and drops down between the seats and makes up the bed.
    At the front of the van I put in some flatpack kitchen units, with a sink and 3 burner gas hob on top.
    It was all pretty straight forward but just took a while.
    I've attached some pics.
    K

Advertisement