Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's talk about Irish jazz/blues

Options
  • 26-06-2008 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

To my knowledge there hasn't been a good discussion thread on our homegrown jazz and blues musicians, which is crazy. So hence this thread :)
    How do you guys think the Irish would rate an the international jazz/blues circuit? Any players you particularly enjoy? Been to any good/bad gigs?

I'll begin with this clip - an absolute treasure - where Louis Stewart plays a fantastic version of We'll Be Together Again, with Jim Doherty on piano (1981).

Fantastic player, by any standard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ha, when i saw this thread is was just going mention Louis. Saw him play a few years back here in Galway, he was very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭Rigsby

You started the thread well with Louis Stewart. He is both a world class and world renowned musician. He has provided accompaniment for many visiting musicians down through the years. Coming along behind him we have a new generation of artists like the Buckleys and the Guilfoyles. Jazz has flourished in Dublin over the last ten years or so. Though there is one thing about Irish jazz that has always puzzled me. Why is it that no Irish jazz artist ( to my knowledge anyway ) with the possible exception of Mike Neilsen plays free/improvised jazz in the vein of say Charles Gayle, Ivo Perelmann or Peter Brotzman :confused: Hope I'm wrong here. If so please enlighten me. :)

Blues has also come a long way since the 70's. Back then it was regarded as "old man's" music. I know this as I played in a blues band briefly when in my teens. People were always asking why we youngsters were not playing rock :D

Blues bands I've enjoyed down through the years are "The Red Peters Band", "The Buisness" (thankfully still playing) and Nigel Mooney. His band, "Nigel Mooney's Hip Operation" ( great name :D ) are also still playing. We said goodbye to some great bluesmen too like Rory Gallagher and more recently Jimmy Faulkner. There's also a wealth of less known bands playing in the likes of "The Bleu Note" and "JJ's" most nights.

For such a small country we have a great jazz and blues scene. Long may it continue !!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I just want to mention a couple of people who got me into the Blues back in the 80s when I was a youngster - Nigel Mooney's Gripewater Blues Band and the Mary Stokes Blues Band with Beki Brindle on guitar. Even before I began listening to Rory, this was my introduction to blues, particularly seeing mary Stokes live in McGonagles around '88. Good times. :D

Edit; Just noticed Rigsby mentioned Nigel Mooney, good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Well I had written a long and detailed reply, but boards crashed on me and the post was lost. Damn!

But in summary, there is some free jazz to be found, mainly by the younger players, though it's not really raging-free-quartet stuff but more orchestrated ensemble playing with free improvisation. (Although rumour has it if you hang around JJs when the moon is full the cries of an Interstellar Space tribute group can be heard from upstairs :p)

To name a few 'free' bands worth checking out: trihornophone, fuzzy logic, Kai big band. There's more I'm sure but can't think of them of the top of my head.

Still haven't seen Nigel Mooney! I will most definitely soonish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Louis Stewart is a class act. Anyone know if he has any gigs planned for this year? Can't seem to get any of his stuff in any record shops or online. Strange that he is practically unheard of in Ireland. I don't think people realise just how good he is.

• Advertisement

Daddio wrote: »
    Well I had written a long and detailed reply, but boards crashed on me and the post was lost. Damn!

But in summary, there is some free jazz to be found, mainly by the younger players, though it's not really raging-free-quartet stuff but more orchestrated ensemble playing with free improvisation. (Although rumour has it if you hang around JJs when the moon is full the cries of an Interstellar Space tribute group can be heard from upstairs :p)

To name a few 'free' bands worth checking out: trihornophone, fuzzy logic, Kai big band. There's more I'm sure but can't think of them of the top of my head.

Still haven't seen Nigel Mooney! I will most definitely soonish though.

"Interstellar Space" ;) Yes, that's the type of free jazz I'm talking about in my above post. The "raging-free" stuff like Paul Flaherty, who played in the "International Bar" a while back to an enthusiastic audience. Must check JJ's at the next full moon. :D

Louis Stewart is a class act. Anyone know if he has any gigs planned for this year? Can't seem to get any of his stuff in any record shops or online. Strange that he is practically unheard of in Ireland. I don't think people realise just how good he is.

I find it hard to think that you cant get any of his records :eek: I'm sure if you try some of the small second hand shops you'll be lucky. I would n't exactly say he's unheard of in Ireland (while I agree he's not a household name). AFAIK he had the chance to work abroad semi-permanently years ago, but choose to stay in Ireland. He had a regular slot in the "Bleu Note" recently which might still be on.

Rigsby wrote: »
    "Interstellar Space" ;) Yes, that's the type of free jazz I'm talking about in my above post. The "raging-free" stuff like Paul Flaherty, who played in the "International Bar" a while back to an enthusiastic audience. Must check JJ's at the next full moon. :D
    His records are hard to come by, but you can get them in Paul Ryan Music in Templebar. I think that, while many may have heard of him, it's unfortunate that they don't realise how good he is. I think his playing in the above clip is incredibly emotive, and technically amazing. I wonder is the rest of that concert available actually? Anyone know anything about it??

So I think we can all agree that Louis is certainly one jazzman we can be proud to call our own. Anyone got any other nominations?

So I think we can all agree that Louis is certainly one jazzman we can be proud to call our own. Anyone got any other nominations?

Richie Buckley can hold his own - and has done so many times - with the best of international musicians. Also his brother Michael Buckley, and their late father Dick Buckley from whom they got a lot of encouragement.

Keith Donald (ex "Moving Hearts" ) though not heard of much these days is also a great saxist. He was playing jazz long before "Moving Hearts".

Others would be Noel Kelahan, Jim Doherty, the late great Johnny Wadham, Frank Hess a very under rated bassist, alas also not heard much these days, another bassist Dave Flemming who backs visiting artists, Peter Ainscough the drummer, and finally another great who left us is Mike Nolan the trumpeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

To my knowledge there hasn't been a good discussion thread on our homegrown jazz and blues musicians, which is crazy. So hence this thread :)
    How do you guys think the Irish would rate an the international jazz/blues circuit? Any players you particularly enjoy? Been to any good/bad gigs?

I'll begin with this clip - an absolute treasure - where Louis Stewart plays a fantastic version of We'll Be Together Again, with Jim Doherty on piano (1981).

Fantastic player, by any standard.

Wow

thanks for posting that vid daddio, amazing stuff..this is why louis has his awasome reputation, he was a great player, very sensitive and artistic but with a natural born jazz language, those little runs were just perfect...

anyways in my own experience there a lot of stunning jazz performers based here many of which I've had a chance to play with

nick roth - sax player, this guy isn't irish (ukranian/english) but he's been based here for years he plays in a number of bands, a quite simply astonishing player, if you get a chance go see him

steve mcfarland is another player you should see a really top notch jazz guitarist

and obviously tommy halfarty
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vXCGoUQdVk

steve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dasdog

Out of an appalling record collection my da had two records that I liked when I was growing up. One was a Chet Atkins workshop and the other a Louis Stewart album. Check out "Scrapple from the Apple" on youtube. What a great (and very underrated) guitarist.

stevejazzx wrote: »
    Wow

thanks for posting that vid daddio, amazing stuff..this is why louis has his awasome reputation, he was a great player, very sensitive and artistic but with a natural born jazz language, those little runs were just perfect...

anyways in my own experience there a lot of stunning jazz performers based here many of which I've had a chance to play with

nick roth - sax player, this guy isn't irish (ukranian/english) but he's been based here for years he plays in a number of bands, a quite simply astonishing player, if you get a chance go see him

steve mcfarland is another player you should see a really top notch jazz guitarist

and obviously tommy halfarty
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vXCGoUQdVk

steve
    The scrapple clip is great! Also check out stompin' at the savoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I was lucky enough to find 2 great Louis albums in Freebird records a few years ago. One with Martin Taylor and a live one from the peacock theatre.
    I have seen Louis play around a dozen times, mostly in JJ's
    He used to play every Monday with richie buckley, John Wadham, Martin curry (super bass player) and miles drennan who is a stunning piano player,
    he's no Kenny Kirkland but very very good. It was an amazing lineup and I think at the time it was 3 pounds Irish to see them. the band split into about 3 different bands unfortunately but I think Richie and hugh buckley still play JJ's under the name Isotope ( I could be wrong though as its a few years since I was there). If people are looking for a good gig, the JJ's sessions are always great.
    Thinking of trying to get there this Thursday myself now, this thread has brought back some good memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dasdog

The Buckley's were and I am sure still are a good live act and I think they did play as Isotope. Only saw LS on once (in JJ's) but I'm not sure how much he is playing these days (?)

Yes, Isotope still play at JJ's. Here's the link.

www.jjsmyths.com

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

though i am by no means a jazz music fan, i went to see LS in concert in 07 at Glor, Ennis simply because i remember his (at least) annual appearance on the late late thru the 80's. I was always impressed by this plain looking man with glasses playing such incredible music. As for the concert, it was sort of hard core for a neutral like me but i did really enjoy it. He had this xylophone(or similar) player, a young english guy, who was suberb. Louis himself doesnt seem to have aged since i remember him on the tv, a class act, a 'real' legend!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

This is fast becoming the Louis Stewart is great thread rather then the discussion about Irish jazz... but it's hard not to just gush about how great he truly is.
    Let us not forget other really great Irish jazz guitarists - Tommy Halfarty and Mike Neilson, both amazing to watch and play with.
    Also, they've been mentioned before but the Guilfoyles are incredible! Métier which is Ronan's band (bass) is playing over the next 4 weeks in Cabentely house and is well worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mamutrance

There has been some great players over the years, all the way back to Rory Mcguinness, to John Wadham. I agree the Guilfoyles are great too. Are there any new players on the scenes the last few years that really stand out? There has always been a shortage of good piano players. Ive been living in London a few years now and am out of the loop!

Advertisement