Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVB-S-Digital Satellite Receiver

Options
  • 25-06-2008 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hello all,

I know a bit about computers but not much about satellites and recievers and the PC cards that you can use to decode the streams. I have a few questions. Looking at Komplette i see two PC cards
    TerraTec Cinergy S2 PCI HD & CI, DVB-S/S2 (HD), with CI internal module

Hauppauge! WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2, DVB-S2 (HD-ready), PCI, Retail

Does anyone have any experience of these cards?

Also if I buy one of these cards and set it up with some media center software like window media center or MythTV can I watch/pause TV and also record on another channel? Or do I need two cards to do this?

Thanks for the help,
    Cormac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i have the hauppage. works great.

use it with dvbviewer

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've often heard good things about Hauppauge cards.

With relation to recording and watching something else, I'm not fully sure. You may be able to record something and watch something else on the same polarity (and 22kHz mode being same, which switches between High and Low).

For full recording features you'd need two tuners.

Watty might be able to help you better on this, maybe he'll pop in soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

you need two cards to watch/record different channels. the cards can only output one mpeg stream at a time so even if something was on the same polarity you can't take two streams

there is already a thread discussing dvb-s cards. it's aimed at hd, but for now it all boils down to the same as all channelsd are dvb-s
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055301052

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I've managed to put 4 sat cards and one Analogue TV card in a PC. It depends on if the drivers support it. Using different cards that use different drivers always works. Most of the Technotrend drived cards (many Hauppauge, Siemens, Technosat etc) allow multiple cards per driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cormacmul

Hi lads,

Thanks for the replys.

Looking at the link it seems the WinTV-NOVA range seem to be used by a lot of people so I will go with this one, and i'll need two of them if i want to record and watch something else.

Thanks for the help,
    Cormac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 cormacmul

Hi Watty,

What cards do you have. Do you have all the same make or can you mix and match?

Thanks,
    Cormac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

you probably should check the epg function of your media software aswell. Having recording with epg aint much good.

I use mediaportal, and you can setup xmltv to download the Radiotimes epg which isint bad (but its not upto the minute like say sky's epg). When I used dvbviewer it only shows now and next (though these is a tool to import in an xmltv epg db)

Advertisement