Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hex head nightmare!

Options
  • 25-06-2008 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi guys,
    I was wondering if anyone can suggest a solution to my little problem?
    Whilst changing the jaws on my scroll chuck for my lathe, two of the (hex headed) screws were very tight. I spent quite a while trying to loosen them and the allen key eventually just spun in the hex head of the screws. After much swearing, then resorting to praying, I have had no luck trying to remove them. I even resorted to spraying everything with WD40 and still they wont budge!
    HELP PLEASE!!

Jac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've got close to that situation a few times, usually because I chose the wrong Allen key out of the dozens I have lying around, i.e. one that's very slightly too small, or a bit rounded off and ended up rounding off the inside of the head of the screw.

I've also got a collection of hex-head bits that fit into a small socket set I have and have found that if I chose one that was as tight a fit as possible, even going to the extent of banging it in with a hammer, and then having the extra purchase afforded by the socket wrench, that I eventually managed to shift them. I also found that quite a bit of crud (sawdust / polish) accumulates in the bottom of the hex recress, and poking that out with something sharp can mean you can get a bit more grip too.

To stop it happening again (after buying a nice shiny new set of screws from Richard Gough's who has them in stock) I've stopped using the allen keys and always use a hex head bit in a screwdriver or ratchet handle. I've thought of using some copper grease on the screws when changing them to see if that helps, but haven't got around to trying it yet.

If all else fails you can get special screw extractors that will do the job .. see http://homerepair.about.com/od/interiorhomerepair/ss/screw_extractor.htm

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 misschipp

Thanks for that Alun
    I did go down the road of hex bits in a wrench and the hammering. The allen key came with the chuck, but seems a bit soft for the job in hand. But I think they are beyond rescue. Maybe I might get some screw extractors and start again. Thanks for the suggestions!

Jac

Advertisement