Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emptiness if form, form is emptiness..

Options
  • 25-06-2008 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

Taken from the heart sutra, what does it mean for you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

When you pour water into a cup, what form does it take? That of the empty space inside the cup.

It reminds me of a vacuum. It creates a space of emptiness which sucks things into it.
    Or that things are defined by what they are not.

figure.gif

It may even refer to the emptiness of mind and how it is filled with images or conceptions of what things are. When in fact they are not. They are just more emptiness.

I dunno! The whole situation is awefully baffling :D
    Any ideas yourself?

Good luck.
    AD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

When you pour water into a cup, what form does it take? That of the empty space inside the cup.
    Taken from the mighty Bruce Lee!
    Infact he stated this as a form of thinking towards martial arts training. For an individual to adapt to every situation as it comes, not to be closed minded and think outside of the parameters set by your chosen art. Hence why he developed Jeet Kun Do as a training concept of mixing different useful methods from different 'styles'.
    Be water my friend, he said in a famous interview.

The concept of emptiness is a bit different tho!
    If you poor water into the cup, but you decide to investigate the origins of the cup, so much so that you find that the cup can only exist due to certain circumstances, what happens the cup if the circumstances don't arise?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MeditationMom

Existence and non-existence simultaneously defies our logical minds. Using logic all the way, we get to the end of logic, at which point our mind can blow wide open - even into Nirvana. This is essentially the idea behind the use of koans or any other methods that blow the mind.

After that the material world loses its solidity. Even emptiness loses its solidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Jon wrote: »
    Taken from the mighty Bruce Lee!
    Infact he stated this as a form of thinking towards martial arts training. For an individual to adapt to every situation as it comes, not to be closed minded and think outside of the parameters set by your chosen art. Hence why he developed Jeet Kun Do as a training concept of mixing different useful methods from different 'styles'.
    Be water my friend, he said in a famous interview.

Cool. I didn't know that... or steal it :p
    The concept of emptiness is a bit different tho!
    If you poor water into the cup, but you decide to investigate the origins of the cup, so much so that you find that the cup can only exist due to certain circumstances, what happens the cup if the circumstances don't arise?

I'd be inclined to think that the idea of cup and the criteria it must fulfill in order to become one are imposed by the human mind. When it's not a cup it's essentially the same but our reaction to it may differ.

This is a nice link regarding emptiness. And they talk about cups too!
    http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/emptiness.html

Peace.
    AD.

Advertisement