Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie: Need to set-up website with forums

Options
  • 25-06-2008 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Need to register myself a domain, get some hosting and get a forum running.

OK so i'll register the domani - fine
    Hosting - Giong to try and get that from a friend, but again no problem

It's the forums - I've never installed forum software before let alone run one. vBulletin looks to be the winner here. Does anyone know if there's a lower cost for a forum that might have less than 2-300 registered users?? And is thre anything complicated about installing/running the forums?

Thanks in advance, mods please move if in wrong place

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Most half decent hosting packages will provide a PHP based forum that just takes a few clicks to set up from your control panel.

vBulletin isn't free as far as I know, but phpBB is. If you do have to set it up yourself, it's not that hard once you have a database server good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Cheers, i'm going to get a hosting package that has MyPHP and MySQL. Would prefer to go with freeware but I like the look of a basic vB forum - Easy on the eyes and more importantly easy for people to navigate who may not have much IT experience

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Seriosuly, spend under €50 with [snip] - worth every penny.
    any little problem you run into with free/cheapo hosting, you'll wish you had of done it properly.

Advertisement