Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting off an agent - references ok - bank statements - this normal to ask?

Options
  • 25-06-2008 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

I see this as personal info and ott to ask.

Do all agents look for this or do most run with references.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

I rented an apartment recently from an agent and i was able to just give references from my last landlord, my other half did not have references though and the agent said that bank statements would do instead, so it was an either or in my case... not both.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mickah

Provide them with a bank reference. That's a name and number of someone in your bank who can confirm you have enough income to cover the monthly rent.

You shouldn't have to show them a bank statement, which is completely personal.

I ask for bank ref, employers ref, prev landlord ref when dealing with tenants. The first two being the most important. Anyone can impersonate a landlord these days (if it's not an estate agent ref).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

The agent is intrusted to get the best tennant possible by the landlord, There's alot of bad tennants out there and this is one way of weeding them down. Refusing to show them may indicate that your not a good tennant.

I normally only ask for a bank reference and proof of earnings, so I know they can pay the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

The only way I would show a landlord my bank statement is if landlord agreed to show me his. Tell him to get lost and rent elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

beeno67 wrote: »
    The only way I would show a landlord my bank statement is if landlord agreed to show me his. .

+1

The most I’ve ever been asked is to verify I was employed. Just gave the number (landline obviously) to HR and they are told I’m fulltime & permanent. That’s all they are told, I’ve never been told they needed more info like a landlord reference or bank details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

There's alot of bad tennants out there and this is one way of weeding them down. Refusing to show them may indicate that your not a good tennant.

Because only good tenants have bank accounts, or have money in their account? What does the EA do with the statement? Is it enough to have a statement? Or do you need a certain amount of money in the account to gain their approval?

You have to be careful giving this stuff out. I've seen EAs requesting passport photocopies etc. Identity theft anyone? I'd be reluctant to hand my statements over to many people, and EAs are certainly no exception.

A work reference, landlord reference and at a push a bank reference should be plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

I didnt know the bank gives references.

I know of one agent in the city that demands bank refs and thats why I was wondering was it something they all did.

Bank statement - I just too personal a thing to give me thinks.

- In reverse - what proof can you ask a land lord (not agent as they cant really scam and bail) that he/she is the owners the property? Like you are handing over a few K to a stranger that happens to have the keys that day.

I suppose asking who is then contacting his solicitor would be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RockCastle

Normally two references is enough and in fairness to landlords they are handing over an expensive piece of kit. A bad tenant can cause thousands of €’s worth of damage in no time!

Some one of the tenants renting the house should be able to provide two of the following, Bank ref (not statement) Ex landlords ref or employers ref and copy of passport if non national any agent worth there salt will ask for these to be provided so that if the house is trashed they can prove to the landlord that they did a reasonable background check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Board-in-work

I had a letting agent recently ask me for a lot of personal data to rent an apartment. They wanted, amongst other stuff:

1. Passport photocopy.
    2. Copy of bank statements.
    3. Reference from employer / personal reference.
    4. Credit checks.

They claimed they needed the bank statements to do the credit checks.

I of course had an issue with this, and refued to give them the bank statements. I dont know who's working in this office - some office temp could conceivably start work on Monday, collect passport and bank statements, then leave on the Friday.....

SO, I asked for a copy of their privacy policy, asked if all members of staff had had police background checks. Asked if they were registered for the data protrection act (yes we are - oh really? - whats your reference number? - mmmm I dont know....)

In the end, I just paid a larger deposit, but told them they werent getting bank statements. Waaaay too much personal info.

I had a letting agent recently ask me for a lot of personal data to rent an apartment. They wanted, amongst other stuff:

1. Passport photocopy.
    2. Copy of bank statements.
    3. Reference from employer / personal reference.
    4. Credit checks.

They claimed they needed the bank statements to do the credit checks.

I of course had an issue with this, and refued to give them the bank statements. I dont know who's working in this office - some office temp could conceivably start work on Monday, collect passport and bank statements, then leave on the Friday.....

SO, I asked for a copy of their privacy policy, asked if all members of staff had had police background checks. Asked if they were registered for the data protrection act (yes we are - oh really? - whats your reference number? - mmmm I dont know....)

In the end, I just paid a larger deposit, but told them they werent getting bank statements. Waaaay too much personal info.

Pushy people. There was an article on ID theft in Thurs Indo. Giving anyone a date of birth is dangerous via passport or License. If absolutely necessary I would blank out the DOB. A CV is a gold mine for ID theft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I'd blur out the passport number, etc too
    if they want proof i have a passport, bank account, etc, grand, but the details are mine and mine alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

been asked for all of these items, seems to be becoming par for the course. i just forge the other stuff, because how can you rent a place when you're still in your previous one? ie, landlord wont give you a reference till you're out. headwreckin.

its all well and good people saying that theyre asking for too much -they are- but you gotta live somewhere. wrecks my brain, ive no family home to fall back on so im a slave to this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

Namesco wrote: »
    The agent is intrusted to get the best tennant possible by the landlord, There's alot of bad tennants out there and this is one way of weeding them down. Refusing to show them may indicate that your not a good tennant.

I normally only ask for a bank reference and proof of earnings, so I know they can pay the rent.

half them are forged as far as people i knwo go, so you're wasting your time anyway.... unless you judge someones eligibility in terms of forgery skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

portomar wrote: »
    half them are forged as far as people i knwo go, so you're wasting your time anyway.... unless you judge someones eligibility in terms of forgery skills?
    That's highly possible, and every time your taking a chance but a lot depends on the person, their manner and dress. Those references are for weeding out unsuitable candidates and then try to choose the person best suitable.

It’s wrong to stereotype people but experience tells otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

I have in the past provided copies of bank statements, however just deleted the other transactions not relevant (I kept the income from my job on display to prove income going into my account regularly)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

worded wrote: »
    Pushy people. There was an article on ID theft in Thurs Indo. Giving anyone a date of birth is dangerous via passport or License. If absolutely necessary I would blank out the DOB. A CV is a gold mine for ID theft.

In terms of ID Theft then a cheque is the most dangerous thing. It has your bank name & address, your sort code, account number, your name and your signature.

Just contacted the credit union and asked them to give a statement.

They can have that if they want, no way a bank statement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement