Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the difference between H.dip & Masters

Options
  • 25-06-2008 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hello All,
    I've got two related questions.

1) What is the difference between a Higher Diploma ( in business) And a masters

2) If i do A higher diploma in Bus. would I be able to get a grant for a masters in the future

Thank-you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

The basic structure of 'value' for qualifications is certificate, diploma, masters. A masters is more substantial then a diploma, and employers would generally favour the M.Bs over the D.Bs.

As for the second question, a number of courses allow progression from diploma level to masters level if grades are good, etc. You'd need to check with the institution in question!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Sonderval wrote: »
    The basic structure of 'value' for qualifications is certificate, diploma, masters. A masters is more substantial then a diploma, and employers would generally favour the M.Bs over the D.Bs.

I think you are confusing a normal diploma with a higher diploma. A higher diploma is at Level 8, whereas a regular diploma is Level 7 in the whole HETAC/FETAC scheme of things.

A higher diploma is usually a "conversion" qualification, where the primary degree is in a different subject to the higher diploma.

A masters is level 9.

Source.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

Missed the 'higher' part in my initial reading :) Damm tired eyes!

But yeah, what Tom says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dizzyguy

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I think you are confusing a normal diploma with a higher diploma. A higher diploma is at Level 8, whereas a regular diploma is Level 7 in the whole HETAC/FETAC scheme of things.

A higher diploma is usually a "conversion" qualification, where the primary degree is in a different subject to the higher diploma.

A masters is level 9.

Source.

great and so if I do a level 8 I can then get a grant for my Level 9.
    thank-you

Advertisement