Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Ball Scramble

Options
  • 25-06-2008 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭

Okay, simple question for the experts but not a player myself. What exactly is a 3 Ball Scramble?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

3 players play as a team... each drive off.
    You choose the best positioned drive and mark this. The person whose drive it was plays first and the other partners drop (place) near to this mark and play their attempts.
    Same thing applies for other shots...

So in theory you will have a good chance of a drive in the fairway, 3 chances to hit the green, 3 attempts at the same birdie putt.... so you will shoot a pretty low gross score.

I forget the handicap allowances - some small fraction of the combined.
    Often there will be a stipulation that each player must have x number of drives to count in the round (maybe at least 3 drives each).

It's a good fun sociable game, nice on a sunday morning after the saturday night before because you are not looking for or hitting balls out of the bushes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭MB74

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭1916

Also be careful not to tap in the 2 incher that you left after the 12 ft birdie putt didn't drop (mark it) otherwise your two partners don't have putts and you sign for a par

I think normally (maybe always) you take 10% (could be 7% for a 3 ball) of the combined handicaps as the teams handicap allowance.. but I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Whenever i've played 4ball scrambles it has been 1/8 handicap allowance.

Great fun to play! I have one this weekend for the 1st time in ages and really looking 4 ward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Trampas

i've played them in a 4 team and 4 drives to count.

that can b though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭pkeno

Playing my first one this weekend in Royal Tara, looking forward to it. Don't know how much of a help I'll be to my team but it should be fun anyway

I think we're playing 4 drives each to count (3 man team btw) and 10% of combined handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

Scrambles are really great fun. Even high handicappers or those who aren't playing great can hole the odd putt or hit a few good shots during the round. The ones where you have to take a certain number of drives from each player are hard work and you tend to spend a lot of time trying to decide when best to take the drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yep have only started out and played a 3 ball scramble last week, great crack and really takes the pressure off

hit a few good shots too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Trampas

And you have one player where you have had to use 3 of his drives in the first 4 holes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Then there is a 3 ball Rumble.........

3 players each play their own ball on each hole but the best score is counted on each hole.

To mix thing's up, there is usually a hole (the 18th) where all 3 scores are used. (I think I'm correct on this?)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Rumble with 3 players is (usually) one score counts on the first 6 holes, 2 count on the middle 6 and all 3 count on the back 6

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Just to make sure on this; we have a 3 ball scramble for UL Sport in August.

Can't believe after all my years I still don't fully know. Is 3 ball scramble best ball every time?

1) You all drive
    2) Pick the best drive and you all play from there
    3) Pick the best approach and all play from there
    4) Best holed out score counts
    5) 1/3rd of combined handicap?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

I played a fourball scramble earlier in the year. 1/8th of combined handicap, i don't think 3 ball would be 1/3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

callaway92 wrote: »
    Just to make sure on this; we have a 3 ball scramble for UL Sport in August.

Can't believe after all my years I still don't fully know. Is 3 ball scramble best ball every time?

1) You all drive
    2) Pick the best drive and you all play from there
    3) Pick the best approach and all play from there
    4) Best holed out score counts
    5) 1/3rd of combined handicap?

to my knowledge:
    1 yes
    2 yes
    3 yes
    4 well only 1 ball makes the hole so that counts
    5 im pretty sure it's 10% of combined usually

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Sometimes you might have to use 3 drives from each player as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

to my knowledge:
    1 yes
    2 yes
    3 yes
    4 well only 1 ball makes the hole so that counts
    5 im pretty sure it's 10% of combined usually

I must have played in hundreds of scrambles over the years.
    every single one bar none has always been 10% of combined for 1 man team

never played in a 3 man version, but can't imagine you should get any more than 15-20% of combined

Advertisement