Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embed avi file not displaying

Options
  • 25-06-2008 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've done up a couple of basic self help guides for the company intranet, I've also tried to include within the guides some instructional videos that i recorded using snag it. I've embedded them in the web page using "embed src=path.avi"

But the video will not display correctly, just displays a black screen while playing through. But if I double click on the video it opens up full screen and plays through correctly. Is there a way to get it to play with in the webpage without the users needing to make the video full screen? Is it a resolution problem or something?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

What media player is it using in each instance? Sounds like one has a compatible codec the other doesn't if there are two media players involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

It's using windows media player within IE7.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 conordarcy

There are a few ways to do it and my favourites all include some sort of flash based player. The quickest & easiest way is probably using You Tube. Upload your movie to you tube and they'll provide you with the code to add it to your page. the downside here is that you may not want your movie to be made public and as its an intranet you intend to display the file on your gonna be using internet bandwith unnecessarily.

You could also create your own flash player, not as scary as it sounds and stream a .flv (Flash Video) through it.

Thirdly, and probably the best option. Use JW FLV MEDIA PLAYER . Its easy to set up and they have a good wizard that'll spit out the code for you. You can stream 1 file or create an xml playlist if you like. You can even customise the colours to fit in with your own palette.

i do web design:)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Cheers, for some reason it was actually only my machine it didn't work on :confused:

I checked it on other machines and everything displayed perfectly so not sure what caused it. So now they can all look at the lovely instructional video instead of ringing me!

Advertisement