Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downgrade from Firefox 3 to Firefox 2

Options
  • 25-06-2008 9:28am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I need to downgrade from Firefox 3 to Firefox 2 due to come incompatibility issues.

I simply downloaded the last version of firefox 2 and installed. Now when I start Firefox I get an error box and then closes.

Anyone know the correct way to do this so it works? A clean reinstall would be best but I don't want to loose all my settings etc, any way around this?
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Given that Firefox converts all your settings to the new version types when you installed FF3, you may have no choice unless you can find an application to convert them back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

im not gonna bash FF but with all the problems and memory leaks i would strongly suggest going back to IE.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I cringe every time I have to use IE.... it sucks monkey balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

why ? Ive been using it non stop for the last year (after using FF for a long time) and im far happier with it then i was on FF.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

There are just a few small things that really annoy me with IE.

I use a lot of the extensions on Firefox, and taking these into account IE comes nowhere near in terms of capability

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Anti wrote: »
    im not gonna bash FF but with all the problems and memory leaks i would strongly suggest going back to IE.
    QFT. Had to leave the firefox bandwagon. There're only so many memory leaks I can put up with. Feature not a bug my arse.

Lads what exactly is a "memory leak" anyway?

When an application takes memory for its own use, doesn't release it when its done and continues to take more each time it needs it. If the application doesn't release memory, no other application can use it.

Interesting. Can you get around that by restarting firefox every once in a while? I thought this had been fixed in v3?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Zascar wrote: »
    Interesting. Can you get around that by restarting firefox every once in a while? I thought this had been fixed in v3?
    Yes, with firefox 2 you could restart it to fix it. It used the memory to cache closed tabs afair. A 'feature'.

I stop using ff2, supposedly fixed in ff3. We'll see.

• Advertisement

3.0 has an entirely new memory model designed to stop the memory leaks and lower memory fragmentation. Restarting an application is often the only way to work around the effects of a memory leak, but it won't resolve what causes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

Try www.opera.com FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

+1 on Opera.

Uninstall FF3, remove the mozilla folder and then install FF2 ?

IE7 is a massive improvement on previous IEs.

Interesting article on FF3 memory usage link

Still after crashing a few times on me since I installed it. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

1. Install both Firefoxes to different directories.

2. Change the icons that launch firefox each firefox like so..

c:\firefox2\firefox.exe -p ff2 -no-remote

and

c:\firefox3\firefox.exe -p ff3 -no-remote

3. Switch off "determine if they are the default browser" Or if you have set it already you might want to leave on to have the profile manager showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

That happened to me too.

The fix for me was to uninstall firefox completely. Dont worry as all your bookmarks and profile data is safe. Uninstallation off FF3 wont touch those folders.
    Don't manually delete folders as you may delete your personal data.

Then just re-install FF2 and everything will be there, bookmarks, themes and profiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,893 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Zascar wrote: »
    I need to downgrade from Firefox 3 to Firefox 2 due to come incompatibility issues.

I simply downloaded the last version of firefox 2 and installed. Now when I start Firefox I get an error box and then closes.

Anyone know the correct way to do this so it works? A clean reinstall would be best but I don't want to loose all my settings etc, any way around this?
    Cheers

You were messing in about:config weren't you?

I did this once during FF3b2 and I just decided to uninstall and remove my user profile.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

kaimera wrote: »
    Interesting article on FF3 memory usage link

Wow, safari uses a shítload of memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,798 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Wow, safari uses a shítload of memory.
    Yep, my main reason not to use it!

By the way, I rolled back to FF2 from FF3 yesterday also - my reasoning, the excellent Firebug isn't compatible with it! :D

But I had a similar issue.. I left Firefox 3 on my PC and installed Firefox 2. Firefox 2 would open but then crash and close it, but uninstalling Firefox 3 in 'Add / Remove Problems' fixed that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

basquille wrote: »
    By the way, I rolled back to FF2 from FF3 yesterday also - my reasoning, the excellent Firebug isn't compatible with it! :D

Will work. Set extensions.checkUpdateSecurity to false in about:config . Should do the trick.

The new boards.ie plugin only supports firefox3. :) So good reason to update. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

What incompatibility issues are you facing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement