Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The little Dinosaur that could

Options
  • 25-06-2008 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭

Given the two page rule is in effect on my last thread... here a new one for ye. I'm posting this from an IBM X20 Laptop, mounted on a dock atm.

It has a 600 Mhz Pentium 3, and 192 Mb of RAM. The original HDD was dead, so it has a spanking new 60GB one added. I am running Xubuntu 8.04 Linux as my OS

I must say, I am impressed with how well it is managing it. It's not much slower than my old toshiba, dating to 2004, but it is much lighter. It's also quite a robust little machine, even if the HDD is a weakpoint.

Battery lifes is between 2-3 hours (might've been a new one in there at some stage) and it is reasonably well behaved. It's easy to carry and looks the mutts nutts...

It's also a fun little thing, and has a better keyboard and screen than an eePC

It can also be booted from a CompactFlash drive.... which I don't have. So there's no reason I couldn't retrofit it with an SSD drive soon enough. It works well with a Linksys Wireless adaptor...no need to mess around, and the screen is clear and useable.

My only gripe is how dusty it is, na dhow cramped the right hand side of the keyboard is. Otherwise, it's pretty nifty, even in todays day and age.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sorry, what's the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Who said I had to ask a question?.... It's a Laptop discussion board...

Just.. even an older laptop is perfectly useable day to day. So long as you're not doing mad ****, or need 80 tabs open. And I'm sure If I recompiled the kernel, she'd go even faster...

I just need to know how to do that

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ah right, sorry it just seemed that the way you're post was going that you were going to add a question at the end. Yeah, given that most of the things people will use a laptop/computer for is just basic browsing/email a low spec system is more than adequate for their needs. The popularity of the eeepc shows this. I've been meaning to get my hands on an old laptop, just to install linux on it to mess about with as I've never used linux. Every time I check the freebie section of adverts there is no-one giving away an old laptop. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Anything P3+ and with around 256Mb of RAM will do the job.... You can get away with less if you're clever. You'll probably need to replace the HDD, but if you're feeling adventurous you can pick up a CompacFlash card-> IDE and use that as a disk drive...

Heck, my IBM can be booted from a native CF slot.... I just couldn't pick up a decnet card off the shelf. It'd be cool. And it looks better than an eePC

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

T22 is my primary machine. I've got much better desktops but i've a close bond with this old machine. P3 1g and 512MB Ramb

• Advertisement
Advertisement