Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How are mercs named?

Options
  • 24-06-2008 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I know the difference between classes; A, B, C, E, G and M. I also kinda understand there's a classic, elegance and avantgarde (I hope that's the correct order). What I don't understand are the different numbers and letters after the class letter; eg, what's the difference between an E180 and an E200? And what's the rule for the letters that follow the numbers? Any link that explains this?

Also, what's the major difference between an E180 and a C180 apart from the size? Which one would be nicer to drive?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

There is no such thing as an E180.

A,B,C,E etc.. are the different model classes. ( Hatch, saloon, executive, 4x4 )

Classic, Elegance and Avantgarde are the different spec leves. Classic being the entry and Avantgarde being the higher spec.
    Example: On an E class the classic came with fabric upholstery, poor looking alloys. The Elegence was the popular spec as it came with leather seats, climate and bigger wheels, while retaining its soft suspension which some people find is what they are looking for in a Mercedes. The Avatgarde was the sportier, higher spec as it came with bigger wheels again, few more toys & lowered sport suspension which put alot of people off because of its harsher ride.

The 180 bit generally represents the engine size, 180 being a 1.8L engine. Mercedes have not always followed this trend though for eg. an E200K actually uses a 1.8L engine and not a 2L engine. The newer E240's use a 2.6L engine as opposed to the 2.4L it used to have.

BMW's also use a similar numbering scheme but recently you will notice most of the numbers don't represent the engine size. Eg.. BMW 320ci some use a 2.2L Engine, New BMW 525 uses a 3L Engine.

Is there any perticular mercedes you were looking at that maybe we can help you with its engine size / class.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.....and then there is the whole W123, W124, W126, W210 etc. thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Mercedes have a big lotto type wheel in Stuttgart, full of numbers, and another full of letters, a quick spin of each and they have a whole new class of car, it's all very confusing,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

cgwils wrote: »
    I know the difference between classes; A, B, C, E, G and M. I also kinda understand there's a classic, elegance and avantgarde (I hope that's the correct order). What I don't understand are the different numbers and letters after the class letter; eg, what's the difference between an E180 and an E200? And what's the rule for the letters that follow the numbers? Any link that explains this?

Also, what's the major difference between an E180 and a C180 apart from the size? Which one would be nicer to drive?

hmmm merc's seem to be named in such a way that ifthey told you they'd have to kill you... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,131 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Saab use daft model designations too. The 9-3 1.8T saloon is actually a 2.0 litre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

S.I.R wrote: »
    hmmm merc's seem to be named in such a way that ifthey told you they'd have to kill you... :rolleyes:

Not really

SL63 = 6.3 Litre

CLS320 = 3.2 Litre

E240 = 2.4 Litre

C180 = 1.8 Litre

• Registered Users Posts: 51,131 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

tdc wrote: »
    Not really

SL63 = 6.3 Litre

CLS320 = 3.2 Litre

E240 = 2.4 Litre

C180 = 1.8 Litre

Yeah but C180 was a 2.0 litre there for a while back in the early 2000s. E200 is 1.8 litre afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Tweeter

Correct, I have a C180 that has a 2.0 litre engine in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

bazz26 wrote: »
    Saab use daft model designations too. The 9-3 1.8T saloon is actually a 2.0 litre.

Saab also had some car that the small t was non turbo and capital T was turbo. So silly! Beemer and Merc have over complicated it. They should just have left it resemble the engine size.
    A 318 was sometimes a 1.8, sometimes a 1.9 and sometimes a 2 litre, depending on model and year. Aren't the C200 and C220 CDI both 2.2 in different states of tune?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yeah but C180 was a 2.0 litre there for a while back in the early 2000s. E200 is 1.8 litre afaik.

yep and the current c200 is the same engine as the current c180 i.e 1.8L so the numbering system doesn't mean much for guessing engine size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 cgwils

What about things like CLK? Does any "K" stand for Kompressor? And and what value does that add to the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭DJKAV

my merc went on fire with us in it .... they say it was a problem with the lights? it was a vaneo.... i don`t like mercs anymore...:mad: 03

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

DJKAV wrote: »
    my merc went on fire with us in it .... they say it was a problem with the lights? it was a vaneo.... i don`t like mercs anymore...:mad: 03

thats a funny little story you got there

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

tdc wrote: »
    Not really

SL63 = 6.3 Litre

CLS320 = 3.2 Litre

E240 = 2.4 Litre

C180 = 1.8 Litre
    The E240 has a 2.6L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

cgwils wrote: »
    What about things like CLK? Does any "K" stand for Kompressor? And and what value does that add to the car?

Kompressor = Turbo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

craichoe wrote: »
    Kompressor = Turbo

I always thought petrol Kompressor Mercs were supercharged and only the diesels had Turbos, I could be wrong though.

Kompressor = Compressor AKA Supercharger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

craichoe wrote: »
    Kompressor = Turbo

Kompressor = Supercharger, not turbo.

Yes the E200 is a 1.8
    No the E240 is not a 2.4, its a 2.6 V6.

It's safe to say after reading this thread, it's not as simple as it looks - the Whole E200 Kompressor thing. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

No its not very clear at all, there are other anomalies too, e.g there recently was an S320 with a 3.7 engine, my old C180 was a 2.0, the C230 Sports Coupe originally had a 2.3 engine now its 1.8 with Supercharger.

The Kompressor is basically a belt driven device used to pressurize the incoming air to creat more available power whilst the turbocharger used spend exhaust gases for its drive, achieving similar results. Both devices have there own pro's and con's.

Essentially in thye years gone by the numbers always refered to engine capacity, however there were always exceptions present, there was a 280SE in the 60's with a 3.5 V8, though it DID have a 3.5 bnadge, the 300SEL was available with a 6.3 litre engine, badged as 300SEL 6.3, but the confusion started with the US 350SL which had a 4.5 litre engine for a while then it reverted to 3.5 when the 450SL arrived.

In the 70's when there really was only 3 bodystyles, SL, mid range (which became the E-Class) and large (now known as the S-Class) the problem was that if you said you had a Merc 280, you could have had either of the above.

Then in the 80's when the 190 arrived (compact Class) ALL were badged 190 despite being eventually avaialable with engines from 1.8 to 2.6.

When the 190 was replaced in 1993 by the "C-Class" all subsequent revisions included rebadging using the letters ahead of the numbers, so the 500SE became the S500, the "E" ( Einspritz/Fuel Injection) was now dropped as all vehicles now used fuel injection and the designation "E" now stood for "E-Class"

Originally the "SL" stood for "Sports leicht" or Sports Light but when the W107 arrived the range of SL's had put on so much weight, they had gradually become cruisers rather than sportscars, the "SL" now stood for Sports Luxury.

On the largest saloons through the years the letter "S" was used for "Super", distinguishing various models from their lesser brethern, ie. on the Fintails the 220 was also avaialable as a 220S with more chrome and higher trim levels.It also came as 220SE which meant it had the fuel injection engine. Again the "L" when used on the saloons meant "Luxury" not "Light".

Currently the CL designation stands for "Coupe Luxury" whilst CLK stands for "Coupe Leicht Kurz" meaning Coupe Light Short, simply to distinguish its place within the ever expanding range !

Anyway, I got a bit carried away there, not sure if I made it harder or easier to figure out, but one more thing, it isn't quite correct to say that Avantgarde is a higher spec than Elegance. One the W203 C-Class MY01-MY06 and on the current W209 CLK range the Elegance and Avantgarde were always the same price, it was simply different trim. The Elegance had wood trim, green glass,chrome door handles and grey grill insert whilst the Avantgarde had sporty silver/Alu trim, blue glass, bodycolour handles, black grille insert and sportier wheels (of the same size as Elegance).

On the E-Class the Avantgarde is more expensive as it has Xenon headlamps and half leather as standard. If you add those to the Elegance you end up with the same price.........almost ! :)

Currently the explaination for the number badging is that it differentiates different power levels whilst not actually indicating engine capacity.

Now I bet you ARE confused, but dont get me started on chassis numbers ! ;)

Advertisement