Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard water in Clonmel

Options
  • 24-06-2008 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Since last week (20/06) our boiled water is cloudy, full of white lumps and grit and has a layer of white scum on the surface. It looks as if it's had 4 Disprins dissolved in it! We thought it was the kettle so we dumped it and got a new one - same problem though. Called county council and apparently Clonmel's water supply has been moved over to a hard water supply due to a lack of funding. There were no public notices or announcements about this. I was told that we'd need to get a water softener installed because the county council won't be softening it at the source, and that we might need some work on our plumbing to keep it from getting damaged from lime scale. Only found this out by calling them.

I've boiled our drinking water since the cryptosporidium issue last August, but at least it didn't look like a bit of the ceiling fell into it. I know that at least we can drink it but f3ck it I miss me cup a chaa!

Rant over!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Where i live we went on to the monroe water supply last year.....It is disgusting...Tea is horrible.....I am waiting for the can in the shower to go....the element in the hot water tank.....radiators all over the house.The kettle is on the way out.I can tell ya one thing...if the plumbers are short on work because of the slow down...They need not worry....Plenty work in the Clonmel area in the near future.But on the other hand it is supposed to be good for you???????But not the pocket.I wonder what the cost would be to them to soften the water at source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dirspave

We've been moved to that same supply. The guy in the county council said that when the Fethard road area was moved over to it, they got a local councellor to try to help - don't know what the outcome was though.

What gets me is that nothing was said about it. We noticed it last Friday too - typical. Shoe it in the door going into the weekend so you can't find out what's going on till Monday.

Sounds like we're stuck with it

Yep its a bit feckin Irish alright.......They couldnt rob us enough with the bin collections so they gave us this new pocket lightener instead.Give em another while and they will probably start charging us for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4 OOooch

ha ha ive been livin with this for the last 3 1/2 years (in kildare), 1st the element in the shower blew, then 6 months later the shower died alltogether. Had to get 1 of those britta filter kettles (about €80 i think + change the filters every 2 weeks or so about €5 each). The boiler tank thingy in the hotpress - had to replace it. i'm pretty sure there was other stuff too that i cant think of. Ye have it all to look forward to. Ive heard recently ya can get some sort of water softner system installed for around €800. Ya wanna see my old mans (lives on the fethard road) face when i was tellin him all this, priceless.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Public announcement in The Nationalist last week detailing all the estates on the Fethard rd that are moving over to Monroe scheme. In this week's paper on the front page the councellors are giving out about it but nothing is going to happen so we better get used to it. It's not govt policy to soften hard water so i think i'll be stocking up on calgon tablets for the washing machine.

• Advertisement

I awoke with a raging thirst this morning...dying for a soda and lime.I didnt have the soda..but boy ..did i have the lime.I will say it again...The plumbers around the Clonmel area need not worry about the downturn ...As they say...tis an ill wind........And no i'm not in the plumbing trade:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

PM me Guys, if you need any help or advise. we supply and install all types of softners and filters. Have heard too many rip off stories when things like this hit the newpapers. forget the Calgon, washing machine filter for €16 will last for a year.

Would those washing machine filters be handy to put on..or would it be the job of a pro...is there any thing like that for the shower supply?????

Advertisement