Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Implant - here or up north?

Options
  • 24-06-2008 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

I'm going to get an implant in the next few weeks. I had a plate with an artificial tooth attached to it but it's damaging the teeth in the long term.

A bridge isn't a long term solution.

So I got a consultation on an implant from my own dentist. For an implant, a temporary bridge while the implant is anchoring and a porcelin crown is 4,400 euro.

A friend's mother has had a similar treatment in the North (Enniskillen) for 1,500 sterling.

Now, that's a staggering difference. :confused: Even with tax relief down here.

Anyone have any advice/thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

that price for an implant placed, including a bridge while it heals and then an implant retained crown seems unbelievably cheap! £1,500?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

BryanL wrote: »
    that price for an implant placed, including a bridge while it heals and then an implant retained crown seems unbelievably cheap! £1,500?

Sorry, I should say. The £1,500 excludes a temporary bridge. So add what, 300 quid maybe?

Still way WAY cheaper.

Is that still too cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

and you will still get tax relief on what you spend up the north - dentist will fill out the med 2 form for you on completion of all your treatment!!!!

I got several teeth re-crowned last year - I paid £350 per crown in Enniskillen as opposed to €1500 per crown in Galway.....all in all it cost me way less than half for all me treatment - and then just wait for the tax rebate!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 caterpillargirl

Guys ,

I don't think med 2 covers implants. At the bottom of the form it says it does not cover artificial teeth...
    Your crown will be covered though!

quad_red wrote: »
    Sorry, I should say. The £1,500 excludes a temporary bridge. So add what, 300 quid maybe?

Still way WAY cheaper.

Is that still too cheap?

Having the implant done tomorrow. In the meantime, I cracked a lower tooth which requires partial crowning.

So at the dentist in Enniskillen I'm getting:
    Implant + crown in upper front
    Crown in lower molar to repair damage
    Full 'Bright Smile' Whitening

for almost fifteen hundred euro less than it would cost down South.

• Advertisement

Guys ,

I don't think med 2 covers implants. At the bottom of the form it says it does not cover artificial teeth...
    Your crown will be covered though!

The way they get around that is saying they were knocked out.

Ie. rather than not having the teeth or having them pulled, I think they are covered if they've been knocked out in an accident?

I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Alice1

I need / want implants too. Was considering going to the North then last night DH found a site about having dental treatment (including implants) in Hungary. Seems very reasonable.

Anyone hav eany experience of treatment in Hungary?

Advertisement