Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offer accepted, but house marked as sold?

Options
  • 24-06-2008 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hi all, as some might remember i was debating negotiation of a house via email....

well ive been negotating ever since and got them to accept 367,500 and when they said yes said i could only afford 360,000 due to circumstances

well i didnt get a reply for a few weeks and i walked past the house yesterday and noticed the for-sale sign still up,

when today i get an email saying the builder will now accept 360,000.... i didnt reply as ive to talk to the other half first and on my way home from work they for sale sign is taken down and a sold sihn is in the window?

i really dont have a clue whats going on???? anyone else any idea

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

330,000 should buy it....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

thats not what im curious about.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

God only knows.
    Personally I'd hazard a guess that they are removing it from sale altogether- perhaps with the intention to rent it out. If I was selling and someone offered me X amount and I accepted it- and then they came back and said they could only afford a lower amount, to be quite honest I wouldn't deal with them, because I wouldn't trust them.......The estate agent is going to tell you some bull when you talk to them- I wouldn't believe a word of whatever they say. I'd be very tempted to contact the seller directly and let them know your situation- perhaps they may talk to you, perhaps not- but at least it would clarify the information being dispersed by the estate agent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

First of all, never take literally anything such as a Sold or Sale Agreed sign. The most likely possibility is that the builder was actually prepared to accept less than 360k. Having taken a deposit they decide to see if you would gazump their purchaser. Another is that the house has not sold and they are hoping that by putting up a sign you will come rushing in to say how disappointed you are. In a week's time they will tell you that the sale has collapsed and the house is now available to you but be quick this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

:D pennys dropped :D That does make alot of sence... because i was using the fact that the grass was 2 foot high in the garden and 2 days later the windows are washed and the grass cut....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I was looking at a house at one stage, put in an offer about 8% lower than asking, never heard anything back, rang back a couple of months later to see if there was any movement, and was told the contracts had just gone out as it was sale agreed, sure enough, two weeks later it was sold and the new owners have moved in.

If the EA has put up a Sold sign and the house has not been sold, then you'll be able to report them to the IAVI, and/or the national consumer agency. Sold means the contracts have been signed and exchanged, and are very difficult to get out of by either side (gazumping/gazundering is no longer a possibility without a lengthy legal case).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

astrofool wrote: »

If the EA has put up a Sold sign and the house has not been sold, then you'll be able to report them to the IAVI, and/or the national consumer agency.
    Who will do what exactly? It would be very difficult to prove the house was not sold and the sale subsequently fell through. Equally the EA or his employee could have simply made an error and put the sign on the wrong house.
    astrofool wrote: »
    Sold means the contracts have been signed and exchanged, and are very difficult to get out of by either side (gazumping/gazundering is no longer a possibility without a lengthy legal case).

Gazumping/gazundering always happens before the contracts are signed and always did. EAs have new tricks up their sleeves for the recession. Offers should be made in writing to the EA. Keep proof of posting.If a "Sale Agreed" appears mysteriously, put copies of your letters of offer through the
    letterbox. Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Sounds to me you are about to go sale agreed [and all over email, which still sounds bonkers to me tbh!]. But you are nothing until you have paid a deposit. Since you don't mention a deposit I assume you have not paid one.

So until you pay a deposit [prolly something around 5k mark] to the estate agent, and until that point the house is indeed still for sale..

Upon you paying the deposit the house is sale agreed [which as folks say, is meaningless tbh]

Then the 2 solicitors and estate agents mess you about for 3 or 4 months..

Then you pay the balance of the sale price and the house is sold

Advertisement