Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EPG on FTA systems

Options
  • 24-06-2008 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭

I notice several of the systems listed by Maplins claim to have 7 day EPGs

how are they achieving this? I thought most channels only do Now and Next and the Sky listings are encrypted.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

They don't thats false advertising. I know some one who enquired about 1 of these receivers at the counter in maplins the saleman did'nt know what he was talking about regarding the 7 day epg for Astra 2/Eurobird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Possibly not false advertising....

The systems may well indeed have the ability to use a 7 day EPG. It is up to the broadcaster to broadcast that information, not the STB maker or Maplins.

MJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 freesat

other than the official freesat/Sky receivers, I haven't came across a FTA receiver with the full 7 day epg. I would be happy if any has and if they could give feed back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Most FTA receivers support 7 day EPGs, even the lowliest Lidl/Silvercrest unit. It's just that many broadcasters don't transmit the full data, apart from now and next. If you test a FTA receiver on the encrypted Premiere movie channels on 19E, you'll see the multi-day epg that's transmitted. The MBC channels on 26E also have multi-day epgs.

In the case of the channels on 28E, the 7 day DVB-SI EPG can't be implemented because of the way Sky already transmit their own encrypted, proprietary EPG data - effectively they're squatting on the transponders already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

7 day EPG on a bog standard Technomate FTA receiver.

2618223581_b96f05812a_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Duke Fame

I have a silvercrest system and can only get now and next on the EPG
    maybe Im doing something wrong or is the system not able to show listings. Anyone else have the same problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Duke Fame wrote: »
    I have a silvercrest system and can only get now and next on the EPG
    maybe Im doing something wrong or is the system not able to show listings. Anyone else have the same problem?

I've seen the same issue, as zaphod said in post #5 its all down to which sat your receiving from.

Advertisement