Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Help Please!!

Options
  • 24-06-2008 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys and gals,
    Need some help and hopefully ive posted in the right thread. Basically i have a website that i want to broadcast from a local location - say a laptop through a wi-fi transmitter to a cafe. I Want it so that someone comes into the shop, sees the wireless access point connects through their laptop or phone then sees our web page, but its not online, just stored locally on our laptop as we have no internet access. Any ideas of software hardware or if this is possible??

THanks
    FT9t9

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,104 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Chillispot can do this and is free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChilliSpot

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

thanks for that spear, how would i go about using this system though, this seems to be a gateway to the internet through a portal page, but not a whole site, or am i wrong?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,104 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

thanks for that spear, how would i go about using this system though, this seems to be a gateway to the internet through a portal page, but not a whole site, or am i wrong?

It allows a HTTP redirect to push people on their first connect to a chosen web page (for authentication, purchase time etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

yes i see that, i just want that when a person connects to our wireless network they can only access our webpage which is stored on a local computer, not the internet. I Think this needs http access to redirect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

First, to server the page you'll need at least a minimal HTTP server, which should be able to handle the redirect.
    Second, I'm interested in what exactly is on this page that it will have such value to your Wifi browsing customers as to be the only thing they can access?

• Advertisement

yes i see that, i just want that when a person connects to our wireless network they can only access our webpage which is stored on a local computer, not the internet. I Think this needs http access to redirect

I may have misunderstood your needs. I thought you intended something more along the lines of a hotspot. Is the sole purpose of the wireless network to only provide access to this one and only page?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

HTTPs server with proxy to prevent people surfing past the page that Chillispot directs people to ?

Advertisement