Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance Fee?

Options
  • 24-06-2008 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭

As I said in a previous thread, I'm moving house and renting the apartment.
    I had viewings last week, all went well.
    One thing amazed me though, over half of the people who came to see it asked how much was the maintenance fee???
    Obviously I'm paying this. Out of the people who asked 3 are paying it presently and the other 2 have friends who pay it.
    Do people not look up their entitlements/rights when they are renting? I thought landlords couldn't charge tenants the maintenance fee?
    I told them to check it out before accusing their landlords of anything obviously, just in case I'm wrong.

Just thought it was interesting....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I would have thought that it was common practice for the landlord to pay the management fees and factor that into their rent calculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

As a landlord I pay my managment fee and I dont change my tenants for this.

I dont know that people did that.. not that I would mind you!

Man thats rough for the tenants if they have to pay that on top of their rent as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

AFAIK there is no law to say the landlord has to pay it, its up to them to decide but common practice would be that the landlord pays it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

OP, I am staggered to hear this and would have thought it is massively anomolous for tenants to pay management fees - I've never heard of it before and would tell my landlord to take a jump if they asked me to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

A landlord might include it as an extra bill so that the advertised rent is lower and they get more interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

OP, I am staggered to hear this and would have thought it is massively anomolous for tenants to pay management fees - I've never heard of it before and would tell my landlord to take a jump if they asked me to pay it.

I know, so was I, hence I posted it :eek:
    If it was the other way around (for me) there'd be no way I'd pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Legal responsibility for paying Management Fees rests with the OWNER of the property.

However, there is nothing wrong with a landlord passing on the fee to the tenant ONLY if they have agreed to this though.

There is nothing that can force a tenant to pay the Management Fee unless it is stated clearly in a contract with the landlord.

Advertisement