Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loads of PC Probs

Options
  • 24-06-2008 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    My machine has suddenly developed some strange problems

1. Its slowed down quite considerably
    2. It refuses to display certain web pages (e.g. gmail, mininova etc..)

I have scanned the machine with Symantec Anti - Virus, it came back that there was one bug, a trojan worm that it removed and then I rebooted it.
    I then went to download AdAware but....SURPRISE.....its one of the pages it refuses to display or load :(

Anybody with any ideas?

HB

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It certainly sounds like you're infected with something, or even many somethings. I'd suggest trying to boot in safe mode with networking support to see if you can download and install adaware and a few other anti malware apps (check the forum here for good lists of free tools).

To boot in safe mode keep repeatedly pressing F8 when you switch the PC on untill a menu comes up asking you what mode to start, try safe mode with networking, that may let you visit the sites and download what you need. If not you might need to go to a friend/cafe to do it. If you have trouble installing the programs you might need to do that in safe mode too (without networking).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Give these steps a try to ensure the system is clean. You may need to download any software on a seperate machine to ensure that you have it all before you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Give these steps a try to ensure the system is clean. You may need to download any software on a seperate machine to ensure that you have it all before you start.

Givin these a shot right now, will let you know how it goes or post a log or summit :)

Cheers

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Those seem to have done the job, cheers a bunch Aidan :):)

HB

Advertisement