Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dont want to mess with regestry to change ..

Options
  • 24-06-2008 8:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

bought a 2nd hand laptop on adverts last night.
    when i press start it says at the top . fagan family pc etc etc
    i dont want to create another user etc.
    without messing in regedit is there a free tool to change the ower . cheers redfan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

If I got a second hand laptop and it still had the previous user's identity, I'd want to wipe it clean and reinstall windows. You never know what other crap is on the HD (virus, spyware, warez, etc).

This link shows you how to write a script to change the name. If that's too complex then just google "rename user account xp" for links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭redfan

if anyone knows of an easy option how to do this thanks guys ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Just create another Administrator Account, login with that account and remove the old one.

Start -> Settings -> Control Pannel -> User Accounts

To Rename the PC, right click on "My Computer" and go to Properties, click "Computer Name" and change it to whatever you want.

For the Re-Install option..Unless you got the Recovery Discs/XP Discs with the computer it means you would have to get one yourself, download drivers & install software as needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

are you taking about the account name or the computer name ??

for computer name Right-click on My Computer and select Properties. On the "Computer Name" tab, click the Change button. In the "Computer Name" field, type in the new name of the machine. Click Ok and then click OK again

for the account name you can access the account properties in control pannel / users

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

irlrobins wrote: »
    If I got a second hand laptop and it still had the previous user's identity, I'd want to wipe it clean and reinstall windows. You never know what other crap is on the HD (virus, spyware, warez, etc).

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,893 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Id also be a major advocate of wiping the machine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

irlrobins wrote: »
    Ditto that. It's probably full of crap.

Advertisement