Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer Problems

Options
  • 24-06-2008 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hey ,I bought a Canon MP160 at Christmas 2006 and now its gone to s**t on me. Its a printer/scanner in one, and the scanner still works, but every time I try to print it tells me it cannot recognise either of the cartridges. I refilled the colour one about 2 months ago, and only used it once or twice since, and replaced the black one about a week before it happened, and printed off a few things with it, then suddenly this happened.

"Service error 5100.
    cancel printing and turn the printer off and then on again.
    If this doesn't clear the error, see the printer manual for more detail"

It obviously didn't work, so I tried replacing the cartridges, cleaning it out, checking the parts etc. I know its not brand new, but the thing hasnt even printed a full ream of paper in its lifetime. I emailed canon and they told me to bring it in for a service, so I brought it in and they told me that it was going to cost me 70 quid to fix it... so they can go f**k themselves tbh. I could nearly buy a new printer for that.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Taking the cartridges out and shaking them cleared this error for one user. Removing a candy wrapper from under the cartridges cleared it for another:
    http://www.fixya.com/support/t186778-error_message_service_error_5100_new

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Bring it back to where you bought it and get a completely different model.

I have a Canon MP460 and I get the exact same error
    at the moment and I only got the bloody thing replaced
    by argos 2weeks ago!!! Yes its brand new!

I had a 3 year insurance thingy on it but they said it was under
    warrenty and repleced it with no questions asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MrDrifter

took them out and shook them, no change. Ill try bringing it back to PC world. Although Im not sure theyll replace it.

Advertisement