Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A3 E85 conversion

Options
  • 23-06-2008 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi there

I'm interested in converting an Audi A3 1.6 (1998) so it can run on E85 fuel. Has anyone been through this themselves or know something about it? Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated. I'm particularly interested in whether it makes economic sense as I had read that E85 is less efficient than petrol.

Thanks in advance,

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

its worth while in a performance view for a car as it makes it run cooler but to get it running right and everthing ull need bigger injectors as it uses more fuel also upgraded fuel pump and possibly either a remap or a stand alone engine management system contact stiv in mod docs hes done a few conversions on nissans to date0877976403

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Gerry

I've tried it on my own car - it has standalone management, and one of the things I said I'd try was e85. Fitted larger injectors, left the fuel pump alone. Works fine, but I don't think it worth it unless the price of petrol heads for 1.50 a litre. Its a 2 litre petrol turbo car, and there is some benefit performance wise ( runs cooler, can run more timing on boost ), but I struggle to get over 20mpg, whereas was getting almost 30 on petrol ( this is commuting through crap traffic ). On a motorway run its 25mpg vs 36 - it just doesn't work out. Especially if your car is non turbo - you won't get any performance advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Gerry wrote: »
    I've tried it on my own car - it has standalone management, and one of the things I said I'd try was e85. Fitted larger injectors, left the fuel pump alone. Works fine, but I don't think it worth it unless the price of petrol heads for 1.50 a litre. Its a 2 litre petrol turbo car, and there is some benefit performance wise ( runs cooler, can run more timing on boost ), but I struggle to get over 20mpg, whereas was getting almost 30 on petrol ( this is commuting through crap traffic ). On a motorway run its 25mpg vs 36 - it just doesn't work out. Especially if your car is non turbo - you won't get any performance advantage.

Out of interest what size injectors did you go for compared to stock (ie what % flow increase?). I have 25% larger injectors, uprated fuel pump and Fuel Pressure Regulator (if needed) ready to go on an Audi allroad 2.7T (twin turbo). If remapped for higher boost and tight timing (even a 100octane program) I would hope the MPG loss wouldnt be too severe.

Advertisement