Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Switch Flash

Options
  • 23-06-2008 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I just moved into a new house. The immersion switch has on/off and sink/bath switches. more often than not when operating the switches a blue, green or white flash occurs inside the switch.

Is there any need for concern or is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

No, not normal. Either get your builder or preferably a qualified electrician to check this out immediately :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Normal enough for me.
    Been happening since we moved in ten years ago.
    Almost looks like a little electric spark?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bconyard

Yea that's right. Taking your advice tm2204, is it likely to be a switch problem or a wiring problem?

Any electricians out there like to comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Not an electrician, but if there is an electrical load on a switch and you break the circuit, you always get some arcing (flash). Older metals used on the contacts can breakdown over time and you ma get more and more arcing, but generally it's all contained within the switch unit. If you are worried, replace the switch and ensure that the rating for the new switch exceeds the load rating by at least 30%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Not an electrician, but if there is an electrical load on a switch and you break the circuit, you always get some arcing (flash). Older metals used on the contacts can breakdown over time and you ma get more and more arcing, but generally it's all contained within the switch unit. If you are worried, replace the switch and ensure that the rating for the new switch exceeds the load rating by at least 30%.

Believe it or not but the arching actually some times helps clean the switch contacts. Lots of immersion switches are located in dark places ( eg hot press) so any flash from the contacts is very visible...

If the switch looks old i would be tempted to change it.. if it looks newish i probably wouldn't bother... also check that the switch isn't getting warm when the immersion is running...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

All switches arc when they make or break. The higher the current the more noticable the flash. Even your light switch will arc a bit, however much less. If you assume about 5 amps per kW you are switching about 15 amps on the bath element, hence the bigger arc and flash.

Having said this perhaps your flash is excessive, I have not seen it, so I can not judge! If there is a problem the chances are you just need a new immersion switch. If in doubt get an electrician to look at it.

Advertisement