Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with firefox - Help!

Options
  • 23-06-2008 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,

I hope i'm in the right forum here.

Everytime I try to open a pdf document from a webpage while using mozilla firefox, the programme gets stuck in a continous loop of trying to open the pdf. This problem has only arisen recently and never occurred before. It's getting fairly annoying to say the least.

Can anybody help?
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Try going to :

Edit -> Preferences -> Applications

and see if you can find 'PDF' or 'Adobe PDF' in the list. You should then be able to choose how the file is handled.

Setting it to 'Always Ask' is probably what you want.. this will give you options to download or view whenever you click on a PDF link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quagmire69

Goodshape wrote: »
    Try going to :

Edit -> Preferences -> Applications

and see if you can find 'PDF' or 'Adobe PDF' in the list. You should then be able to choose how the file is handled.

Setting it to 'Always Ask' is probably what you want.. this will give you options to download or view whenever you click on a PDF link.

Tried it and the pdf opens but it stays half loaded and then kinda freezes. Still something wrong i think. Could it be a virus??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Loads where? Into the browser?

Did you find the PDF entry in Edit -> Preferences -> Applications and change it to something other than '...open in firefox'?

I believe the default action on Windows machines is to open the document in the browser. In my experience this often causes the browser to freeze, at least for a short time, as the PDF application and the PDF file itself are loaded and downloaded respectively. Those PDF files can be quite large sometimes.

If you can locate the 'PDF' entry in the applications list, change it to 'always ask' and then download the file to your desktop and open there.

If that doesn't work or help then I don't really know. Maybe someone else can help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quagmire69

Goodshape wrote: »
    Loads where? Into the browser?

Did you find the PDF entry in Edit -> Preferences -> Applications and change it to something other than '...open in firefox'?

I believe the default action on Windows machines is to open the document in the browser. In my experience this often causes the browser to freeze, at least for a short time, as the PDF application and the PDF file itself are loaded and downloaded respectively. Those PDF files can be quite large sometimes.

If you can locate the 'PDF' entry in the applications list, change it to 'always ask' and then download the file to your desktop and open there.

If that doesn't work or help then I don't really know. Maybe someone else can help :)

yeah, loads in the browser. The odd thing is, it worked perfectly fine before and then one day just stopped working. Internet Explorer can open them no hassle though. I cant understand why its happening as I didn't alter any of the settings.

I switched on the always ask command, but then it doesn't ask me when trying to open a pdf!?

might have to look elsewhere for help.
    Cheers for the replies all the same.

Advertisement