Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Drive problem

Options
  • 23-06-2008 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi,

I am trying to help my father with a problem he is having with his PC. The problem is that his DVD drive does not play CDs or DVDs any more... When you put a disc into the DVD drive, the computer just hangs.

He recently had Windows reinstalled. All was working ok. He bought a new monitor. When he tried to play a DVD with Windows Media Player it said that there was no suitable codec. I downloaded k-lite free codecs to try to resolve the problem. It didn't. I uninstalled k-lite. I then downloaded VLC for him and that allowed him to play a DVD. It's few hours later now and no disc will play in the drive.

The DVD drive is a LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163. The new screen is an LG. He uses Windows XP SP2.

I'd really appreciate any advice you might have. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

If you are comfortable enough, try a different IDE cable and see if it makes any difference. Does it sound like it is trying to read the disc (lights flickering and hum noise)?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭musicinmouth

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, the light flickers and there is a hum noise.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi,

I am trying to help my father with a problem he is having with his PC. The problem is that his DVD drive does not play CDs or DVDs any more... When you put a disc into the DVD drive, the computer just hangs.

He recently had Windows reinstalled. All was working ok. He bought a new monitor. When he tried to play a DVD with Windows Media Player it said that there was no suitable codec. I downloaded k-lite free codecs to try to resolve the problem. It didn't. I uninstalled k-lite. I then downloaded VLC for him and that allowed him to play a DVD. It's few hours later now and no disc will play in the drive.

The DVD drive is a LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163. The new screen is an LG. He uses Windows XP SP2.

I'd really appreciate any advice you might have. Thanks!
    Try uninstall the dvd drive (From device manager) and reboot the pc, on next boot windows should re-install the driver and might fix it

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭musicinmouth

Thanks Nick. I just tried that. It re-installed the dvd-rom drive, but we are still getting the same result. Everything just hangs as soon as you put in a disc. The light flickers yellow persistently and it makes a noise like it's trying to load the disc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Thanks Nick. I just tried that. It re-installed the dvd-rom drive, but we are still getting the same result. Everything just hangs as soon as you put in a disc. The light flickers yellow persistently and it makes a noise like it's trying to load the disc.
    Could be the drives dead m8, if you can, try it in another machine to confirm...

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement