Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Managment Liability

Options
  • 23-06-2008 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I'm looking for advice on the following.

I'm living in rented accomodation leased thru' an EA which is managed by a property company. I had a bike stolen last week from the basement garage where it was locked.

Last night my girlfriends car was broken into right next to where my bike was parked. Thankfully nothing of value was taken. My girlfriend is also named on the lease.

Now, the issue is that the key coded vehicular gates in the front of the appartment block have been broken for the last couple of weeks. (I only got the correct number last week to ring them as other numbers I had were invalid.) The PM company have a disclaimer sign up saying that cars parked at owner's risk or something to that effect.

I rang, furious after my bike had been taken (worth a few bob), on Friday and they said they had ordered parts for the gate. They arrived but were wrong ones and had to re-order. He said the gates should have been fixed at that time, and as in work took his word. Gates still not fixed and am awaiting a call from the company. Not holding my breathe.

Are they accountable in any way for the loss of my bike and my girlfriend's car being robbed? I appreciate any advice or plan of action I should take.

By the way I have spoken to the EA and they are also going to speak to the PM company.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Manone wrote: »
    Are they accountable in any way for the loss of my bike and my girlfriend's car being robbed? I appreciate any advice or plan of action I should take.

By the way I have spoken to the EA and they are also going to speak to the PM company.

In short, no they are not liable in any way. They are, however, accountable to the management company. This is very different.

They have no legal liability for items stolen or damaged on the property, and their signs to that effect are correct.

Any claims should be made against your own insurance policy for your goods (home insurance generally would cover the bike, and vehicle insurance would cover the car/it's contents).

Not what you wanted to hear, but that's the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Sorry mate, but there is no insurance policy on the market which will cover goods in a carpark (underground or overground).

And as for the management company copping for the loss - if everyone in the apartment complex were to claim for losses i.e. if one car was to be broken into every month along with 6 bikes stolen - then the management company could potentially be down thousands of quid over a year. The MC's budget would not be able to cover this unexpected expense.

It is unfortunate, but the reality is that you should have ensured your bike was as secure as you felt necessary (be that bringing it up your your apartment), and your g/f's car should have been alarmed.

Advertisement