Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newbie looking for info!!

Options
  • 23-06-2008 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi all....
    I 'acidentally' wandered into a GW in UK during a weekend away - and got my first taste (albeit in simplified format) of GW games.

I knew nothing about it before. Could you guys 'n' girls give me some info as to how good it is? Is it (e.g.) a good alternative to wow or chess?

what's the appeal about it all? And is it easy to meet up with people to play? I'm looking at some of the new armies (and rule book) about to come out...it s a HELL of a lot of money for a 'game'??

Appreciate the feedback...thanks!

Sur

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Its hard to say 'how good' it is, since every person is going to enjoy different things. For myself, I play 40k, a little fantasy, but have no interest in LotR. Others will enjoy different games.

There are a few levels of appeal. The first is visual .. assembling and painting the figures, converting them into what you want.

Next you have the competative element .. beating the other person. Pitting your wits against theirs, and the attention the great god Murphy may pay to your dice, and trying to come out on top.

There's also the social element ... hanging out and having a laugh while you play, though that may work better in a regular club than in pick up games in GW.

There are a couple of clubs around the city that meet regularly, plus assorted uni societies, so finding regular opponents shouldn't be that hard.

And yes, its not a cheap hobby to get in to. I'd be inclined to recommend finding a club, going along, talking, getting a feel for the games, and then deciding if you want to lay out all that hard earned cash on an army.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

I guess the appeal for me is mainly from the miniatures.

The only GW game I play is LOTR, but I have been playing various other miniature wargames for years.

I spend much more time assembly and painting the miniatures, and terrain, than I do actually playing any game. Playing is very much secondary to me, I really enjoy playing with a well painted army on a well made gaming table. But I don't really care whether I win or lose!:)

Like Hairyheretic said, it's expensive, so if I were you, I would pay a few more visits to GW before you buy anything. You can pick their brains and they will even let you play sample games. I find they are very helpful like that, if a little over-eager!
    There are also a lot of generic, basic wargame rules which can be downloaded fro free from the web. Some are not as sophisticated as GW, and some are much more complicated, but they will give you an idea of how a game works. There are many other companies besides GW which produce this kind of stuff, so look around. GW are very much at the more expensive end of the market and you might find a game you like which won't break you.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

thanks for the info...

speaking of being over eager....they ARE!!

I got a sample game with the guys in GW Blanch. It was just as interesting. I played 40K rather than LOTR in the UK. And...they talked me into buying 2 armies, a paint box, booklets for the armies and pre-order the new 40K rule book (????).

€200 later...I'm looking at the unopened boxes wondering if I've done the right thing :confused: wont open them until I'm sure!!

PS I bought the tyranids & some terminator looking thingys. They will also give me a special dedicated day for learning how to play the game. I must admit...the idea of GEEKDOM is strongly in mind!!! Are the 'clubs' like this too??? LOL

€200 could have delivered 50 million rabbits to a home in a poor country needing rabbits!!! :o

Sur

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

if you are in and around dublin city, you should drop into Models Inc on dorset street (it has a wide variety of games stocked not just gw), they have club nights on wednesdays & there are always people playing games on the weekends

Sounds like you got a tyrannid & necron box set, might be better to stick to just one faction as building up a decent army for one faction can be costly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

It's possible that you bought the 'battle for macragge' box-set. That has tyranids in it, and some space marines, who look vaguley like mechanical terminators.

That wouldn't be a bad place to start at all, as you get a mini-rulebook (very soon to be out-dated though), the templates, and a good few tyranid and marines models.

I'd also recommend visiting Models Inc. on Dorset street, they're a LOT less pushy than the GW guys.

If you call into Models Inc on a wednesday after 7pm you can see the Dublin Games Guild. Plenty of 40K going on (there's a campaign running), and other games are popular too, particularly warmachine/hordes.

If you can't do a Wednesday, then the Underground Gamers have just started holding their club night in there on a tuesday. I don't know them very well, but the few I do know and sound, and I'm sure would be happy to let you have a look.

If you don't open anything until you're sure, then I'd guess you can return it if you change your mind. Not that I'd recommend changing you mind, except maybe to choose warmachine instead ;) Both are really fun games.

Oh, and like Madrab said, if you did get models from 2 different armies, then stick to just one of them. At least until you have a playable force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

madrab wrote: »
    if you are in and around dublin city, you should drop into Models Inc on dorset street (it has a wide variety of games stocked not just gw), they have club nights on wednesdays & there are always people playing games on the weekends

Underground Gamers also have a night there on Tuesdays, they have a google group you can join to find other people to play against and arrange games. http://groups.google.com/group/undergroundgamers

Now all I have to do is actually paint my army..... and assemble it...

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

thanks to you all for the info!!! really appreciate it

Advertisement