Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can this website be moved?

Options
  • 23-06-2008 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭

A mate of mine has a website which was created by and is hosted by dotcom.ie (so he tells me)
    He's tired of dealing with them and would like to move it but knows nothing about whats involved. I see that his domain is registered till June 2009, I assume that dotcom.ie have control of that domain till then?
    Does anyone know if the website itself is their property or could he take the code and just move it elsewhere?
    Thanks

Sorry if this is the wrong forum by the way, I wasn't able to post in web hosting (I assume its closed)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Its his to do with as he likes. Whether or not he will be able to move the domain name easily will depend on how he registered it, in his own name or in theirs.

The Web Hosting forum is closed, and we don't allow provider specific queries here. We can give you a general overview of what would need to be done, but any specific queries will need to be directed to your host.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

You'll need to get an EPP/transfer authorization key from the current host and give it to the new host.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Thanks, basically the problem the guy is having is that they're is a problem with some code on his site that they are having a problem with fixing. I know that I can fix this problem and get it hosted somewhere else for him, just wanted to make sure he actually owned the code first though (he doesn't know)

The actual domain is regitered to the hosting company, I assume this means he's waiting a year to do anything unless he wants to loose his web address ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

But he paid the registration company for the domain name, right?

I transferred a domain last week which is good till 2010 and it only cost me about 8 euro for the other hosting company to take control over it... it will take about 5 more days to go through though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

colly10 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the website itself is their property or could he take the code and just move it elsewhere?
    Thanks

We can't talk about specific hosting issues here, so you might want to try www.iwf.ie for specifics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement