Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrier Free Toll Roads - Which company?

Options
  • 23-06-2008 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have recently seen TV adverts for eflow advising that the M50 will be barrier free from August (I think). From looking at their website and also easypass it seems that you can pre pay with either company and use any toll road.

Is this correct? I don't use tolled roads that often but am gonna buy either an eflow or easypass. By the looks of it it really doesn't matter which company i go for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

Hi

I have recently seen TV adverts for eflow advising that the M50 will be barrier free from August (I think). From looking at their website and also easypass it seems that you can pre pay with either company and use any toll road.

Is this correct? I don't use tolled roads that often but am gonna buy either an eflow or easypass. By the looks of it it really doesn't matter which company i go for.
    That looks right but you will still have to pay separate toll charges for each road. You just seem to get the discount for having a tag account from what I can tell.

Under section 3 of the FAQ, "Motorists who register for a tag account can use their eFlow tags on all toll roads throughout Ireland."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

6 of one and and half dozen of the other. The records of both companies RFID radio chipped cards will be recorded and stored on the one server.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

6 of one and and half dozen of the other. The records of both companies RFID radio chipped cards will be recorded and stored on the one server.

Doubt it, two seperate private companies.

Can you please shut the hell up about RFID? Don't think you've had a post in this forum NOT about it in quite some time.

Aaaanyway, theres about 6 issuers of tags, and all will work on all roads.

MYOB wrote: »
    Doubt it, two seperate private companies.

Can you please shut the hell up about RFID? Don't think you've had a post in this forum NOT about it in quite some time.

Aaaanyway, theres about 6 issuers of tags, and all will work on all roads.
    Both companies have to be compatible with the system if they are using the same portal scanner :rolleyes:

I will not shut up about RFID because that is exactly the technology that the Easypass and EFlow uses which is basically another cashless tracking device. (They won't tell you this)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Both companies have to be compatible with the system if they are using the same portal scanner :rolleyes:

I will not shut up about RFID because that is exactly the technology that the Easypass and EFlow uses which is basically another cashless tracking device. (They won't tell you this)

For them to be interopable, does not mean they are on the same servers.

I doubt the technology used in these efloy yokeys is RFID, given the range involved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tags are compatible via an NRA run brokering system.

We heard you once, heard you twice over being 'tracked' and told you to go to the conspiracy theories forum. That said, you're not truely paranoid because if you were, you'd be concerned enough to realise that DCC and the Guards can track you through the city using their camera network - wheter or not you use toll roads (which all have an option to get around on unpaid roads). Tracking via the toll road network would be futile compared to what they can do already

Just ask Joe O'Reilly - major evidence in his case being CCTV tracking of his car. Now, please bring any other ranting about eToll tags, transport smarts, etc to Conspiracy Theories because honestly nobody here cares.

testicle wrote: »
    For them to be interopable, does not mean they are on the same servers.

I doubt the technology used in these efloy yokeys is RFID, given the range involved.
    All electronic barrier free toll systems are using RFID technology that can transmit a range of several meters from your windscreen to an overhead gantry. The same compatible RFID scanners are currently being rolled out in car parks throughout the country. http://www.etrip.ie/index.php

How the Westlink and other cashless RFID based gantry toll plasas will look like in the coming future, equipped with cameras to spot non paying offenders.

25.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Just ask Joe O'Reilly - major evidence in his case being CCTV tracking of his car.

Sure, he was found innocent... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

This whole M50 tolling thing is needlessly confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

so which one is better / cheeper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭trellheim

a comparison website will be launching soon that will allow you to compare the tag providers. IMHO it's all a bit of a swizz though.

This whole M50 tolling thing is needlessly confusing.
    Nothing confusing about it at all.

Just buy your Microchip transmitter from one of many sources that supply them, give them all your bank details / credit card for a direct debit mandate, registration number and make of car etc and place the wonderful thing on your windscreen and sit back.

You will never have to put your hands in your pockets rooting for change or stop at any toll plaza in the country again. How convenient. :rolleyes:

Nothing confusing about it at all.

Just buy your Microchip transmitter from one of many sources that supply them, give them all your bank details / credit card for a direct debit mandate, registration number and make of car etc and place the wonderful thing on your windscreen and sit back.

You will never have to put your hands in your pockets rooting for change or stop at any toll plaza in the country again. How convenient. :rolleyes:

For the privilage of €1 per month, or pay the premium without it.

Coming in via the M4 toll it will save me about 5 seconds a trip, on some days, I have beaten cars using the "freeflow" lane. :)

testicle wrote: »
    Sure, he was found innocent... :pac:

No, he wasn't.... Joe O'Reilly's in the clink now. Appealing, however. CCTV and mobile evidence used to prove he was in the area...

however. CCTV and mobile evidence used to prove he was in the area...
    Just like your brand new toll plasa device :D

Just like your brand new toll plasa device :D

Or the massive already extant Gardai and Dublin City Council systems, which despite your rabid paranoia about RFID systems, you seem to ignore the existence of...

Or the massive already extant Gardai and Dublin City Council systems, which despite your rabid paranoia about RFID systems, you seem to ignore the existence of...
    RFID is an extremely positive and accurate form of identification just like your mobile phone. Cams have their limitations even those with ANPR recognition.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RFID is an extremely positive and accurate form of identification just like your mobile phone. Cams have their limitations even those with ANPR recognition.
    I take it you don't have a mobile phone / 3G data card and are rarely if ever in the company of those that do ?

I'm not sure what the penalty is for trying to remove the dirt off your number plate with a can of hairspray "ah crap I thought it was foam cleaner, sorry about that Guard"

TBH if they can't read number plates then we should get our €114 million back :mad:

And are you obliged to have an RFID tag? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Oh could someone PLEASE ask that this thread stay on topic about the merits of the various tolls. I am sick to the back teeth of the constant bullsh1t about the RFID devices and I don't think I am the only one! It's almost like trolling at this stage.

• Advertisement

And are you obliged to have an RFID tag? No.
    No, but then you will be stuck in a Q paying the premium rate in cash until such time as they phase it out.

No, but then you will be stuck in a Q paying the premium rate in cash until such time as they phase it out.

...this will be a precise total of zero days, then.

There will no time period where people are charged €3 cash at toll booths on the M50. It will be €2 until the gates are opened/removed.

Advertisement