Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Google "adwords" Views Out There

Options
  • 23-06-2008 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi,

I have recently set up a web page advertising training in Microsoft Excel.
    The web page is fairly amateur but does convey what is for sale. I.e. training.

I am using "Adwords" to promote the site.
    I have had some clicks (and resulting business).

Hiowever, I am trying to figure out what sort of cost per click is normal.

I have paid anything from a few cents to almost €2.
    The €2 clicks seems expensive ?? Is it?
    (Obviously, there are HUGE variables here - so I am just looking for views rather that hard facts).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

My IT skills are limited to hardware and networking and I also do training like yourself. When it comes to Web development I am a bit of a newbie to SEO and am learning a lot as I go by. A big mistake I made at first when using google adwords is that I tried to get people to visit my sites using general keywords like "hardware" and "computer repair". It delighted me to see my adv appear in these google searches. These words were quite expensive! For me, a small repair company in Limerick / Tipperary area, these terms are way too general. IE. Someone seeing my site in Dublin would obviously not consider sending repair in my direction (I am not doing any serious dedicated work like HD data recovery). Anyhu my (amateur) point is, from my experience, when it comes to adwords, only use phrases / words that apply directly to you. For example, for me "PC Repair in Tipperary" or "Computer Maintenance in Limerick" is a lot more suitable than general terms like "PC repair" or "Computer Maintenance" and it is also going to be cheaper. As far as I can see, the price of an adwords click, depends on how many other people want the same phrase as you and also how much they are willing to pay for it.

My 2 cents, best of luck. Also I might advise that you add you site to your sig. google ranks sites better if reputable sites (such as boards) are linking to it. It's a small step but every little helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The above advice is a little off, and confuse's PPC and SEO.

Without knowing the specifics of your business or competition, it's very difficult to give advice.

At a very basic level, there is much more to Adwords than maximum bid.

There's a wealth of information here - http://www.google.com/adwords/learningcenter/

In response to your question, It's all relative, if resulting business is worth on average €100 to you, and you have a conversion rate of say 10%, then 10 visitors at €2 CPC - costing €20, leaves you with €80 profit.

If those variables aren't accessible, or you're not sure, my advise would be to start small with a tightly knit keyword group with exact match keywords and use 2 ad variations, and optimise these as you progress, while keeping an eye on CTR, CPC and Ad Position.

Having an optimised keyword group (looking at long tail cheaper keywords), coupled with high CTR ad variations and a landing page which is highly relevant (and has a Great quality score) will result in lower CPC - rinse and repeat :)

I would ask you for more information, but would regard the possibility of giving advise which could be used against you by a competitor.

If you like, feel free to PM me, I'm happy to give out free advice :)

Barry.

Advertisement