Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on my three legged Springer Spaniel

Options
  • 23-06-2008 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I have an english springer spaniel who as a result of getting caught in a rabbit snare, had to have his back left leg amputated from the knee up 3 years ago.

He is still a very active dog, and does not like to take things easy at all... is very much a working dog at heart and this does not seemed to have slowed him down until recently.

As a result of the added pressure to his front quarters he recently suffered from muscle spasms and had to be on total bed rest for 2 weeks.

Really what I am wondering is if there is any supplement or anything that would help him or does anybody have advice on this kind of injury with an active dog?

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice.

DSC_0136.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭karlin

Have you talked to your vet? They'd probably be best to advise.

Some dogs do a lot better fitted with a special cart as it takes pressure off those remaining limbs, but these can be pretty costly. However they do very likely add years to the dog's life -- most three legged animals have problems and a slightly shorter lifespan (I have a three legged cat myself).

It is easier for a dog or a cat to lose a hind limb though as opposed to a front limb so you at least are at a slight advantage there.

Springers are really active dogs so I can imagine it isn't easy to control his desire to run and run. How much training does he have and how well can you verbally control him and guide him? Have you done a course? I'd definitely recommend a course or a refresher to start to put some shape and control there so that you can rein him in as needed. Also, doing some mentally challenging work with him like freeform clicker work and obedience will tire him out too without the hard activity. There are some great wooden dog puzzles on Zooplus.ie that can be used in a variety of ways and really work a dog's brain, also good for a smart active breed like a springer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Hi.
    Your springer is a sweetheart.
    I don't know about tablets or anything but if his muscles are at him you could give him regular warm baths to ease the pain and tension. It does wonders for my cavalier king charles spaniel who has arthritis. I give mine a bath every 3 days or so. You don't need to wash them this often as it takes all the good oils from their coats but I think the relief she gets outweighs that.
    Good luck with your little fella.
    What a little fighter getting over the amputation!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mbthomas

What kind of things can you do with the wooden fod puzzles? Have to say iv never come accross anything like that, but if its worth a try at keeping his mind active i'd give it a go.
    His vet has suggested a supplement but I really wanted to ask out there if anyone had experience of something that had worked for them. He is quite obedient, and will not go far without me, but as i say once off the lead he cant sit still for a second. I will try the warm baths too, thanks for that. I bring him swimming quite alot cause I reckon that's exercise for his whole body. He is such a cutie and a real fighter! Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!!

Advertisement