Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia for families...all info gratefully appreciated

Options
  • 23-06-2008 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi there,

Am thinking about moving the whole family kit and caboodle out to Oz in mid 2009 but feeling a bit overwhelmed by the size of the place and also the fact that I've never been. Obviously would plan a general recce trip for later this year, a specific job/accomodation trip approx 2 months before moving and then to arrive with all the missus and two kids next July or so.

Thing is, don't even know where to start looking. Myself and the missus in mid 30s, kids are 14 and 8. I am a fairly experienced accountant whose experience is mostly in the public sector so that might point in the direction of Canberra but we'd sooner be near the sea.

Rough location criteria would be as follows:

good employment opportunities
    Near sea
    Nice area for families with good facilities
    not more than roughly 1 hour commute (ideally by train) from prospective employment locations. (Commuting 3 hours e/w Wexford to Dublin and not going down that road again!)
    good weather all year round but not as warm as say Brisbane.

Any advice or input would be very grateful, particularly from those who have already gone through the whole family emigration thing... How hard was it find work, how did ye settle, finding accomodation and schools for the kids

Many thanks

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Perth's your only man, especially if you're seeking employment. There's so much work here it's unreal. The salaries are quite nice and the cost of living much lower than Dublin.

Don't go near Canberra, from what I've been told there's nothing in it.

Ok I'll explain my situation.

1. Live in a suburb 20 minutes drive from the city.
    2. Door to door commute in the morning is 40 minutes by train to a city centre job.
    3. 15 minutes drive to the beach.
    4. Local pubs/restaurants less than 5 minutes walk from my apartment (housing estates in the area too)
    5. Live directly opposite a big shopping centre with retail parks.
    6. Lake/public park ten miuntes walk away (kids can go feed kangaroos, ducks etc. Great fun!)

I'd say that meets all the criteria you mentioned. I could give you a list of suburbs that would tick all the same boxes as well.

House prices have gone up a lot lately all over Australia but are still relatively cheap in comparison to home so if you're selling up in Ireland then you should have no problem getting a place in the market here. Perth is so chilled out and welcoming. You won't have any problem settling.

Perth's summer temperatures would be hotter than Brisbane but you don't feel it as much. Queensland is tropical climate and hence suffers from horrible humidity. You don't get that on the west coast. Give me 40 degress in Perth over 32 in Brisbane any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

Xavi6 wrote: »

Perth's summer temperatures would be hotter than Brisbane but you don't feel it as much. Queensland is tropical climate and hence suffers from horrible humidity. You don't get that on the west coast. Give me 40 degress in Perth over 32 in Brisbane any day.

+1 on the weather. I was in brisbane at the end of March last year, and found it tough going, and I was only on holiday...
    Perth was easier to bear..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Beautybeanie

good employment opportunities
    Fundamentally brilliant if you are a chartered accountant. People are being enticed into accountancy with free education due to the shortages in this area. Forensic accounting is a niche. You can work corporate, in house or for yourself.
    Near sea
    If you can afford it, go for it. Personally, having lived in all capital cities, waterfront or seaside is premium. However, Gold Coast (Qld) is good in that the beaches are lovely and it's close to the CBD.
    Nice area for families with good facilities
    Very wide question as Australia is a very well equipped country. Take your pick.
    not more than roughly 1 hour commute (ideally by train) from prospective employment locations. (Commuting 3 hours e/w Wexford to Dublin and not going down that road again!)

Not Sydney. I guarantee you'll be on the train for at least forty-five minutes if you're travelling from inner west to the CBD. Forget driving unless you have your own parking space (people do - they rent them long term or get them with a salary package). Melbourne is similar if you're in the burbs. You can commute comfortably in Brisbane, Darwin, Canberra, Perth and Hobart.

Canberra is deceptive. It has a vibrant underground music scene and a plethora of interesting people drawn in by the government job market. People tend to baulk at recommending Canberra as it appears lifeless and dull but it's a very safe place to raise kids and fits the bill as any other city would. Only thing is, it's nowhere near the sea.
    good weather all year round but not as warm as say Brisbane.
    I'm stunned by this comment. Given I live in Brisbane, the weather is perfect. Very mild winters, beautiful all year round. I find other capitals hotter during the summer. If you are truly afraid of melting, keep away from Adelaide. ;)

I think your best bet here, given your questions are quite non specific, is to sit down with the wife and kids with a big piece of paper and brainstorm a life you imagine then ask further, tighter questions from that. One thing I find with families coming out is that they don't have a united or clear vision which makes things unnecessarily difficult. The clearer the vision, the more directed your focus and the letting running around you have to do during your little recce run.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JohnjoWex

thanks a million

very helpful

John

Advertisement