Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox 3.0 = slow?

Options
  • 23-06-2008 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else upgraded to Firefox 3.0 yet? I installed it today but it seems to be going a bit slow for me. On some sites that have tables it's really slow scrolling.

I've gone through the mozilla site and they recommend changing the firefox user profile. Tried that and it's still really slow.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 clark nova

It was slow for me, and on the mac it looks hideous

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No problems with it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,145 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

crashes a bunch for me, i think its related to java code or something. loves killing itself when i try to use gmail. otherwise its plenty fast

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

FF2.0.0.14 Crashed out on me regularly about 2-3 times a day, this hasn't crashed yet. I'm loving it, it's using less resources (at times I had ff2 using a gig of ram) and is way faster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭redhat_newbie

Have installed it on Leopard, Vista, Debian and Ubuntu.

1) Problems with Flash ( Crash ; hang)
    2) Problems with Java (hang;)
    3) Scripts/Adblock/Flash blockers firefox extensions (sometimes hang;)

Pros:

1) Found it speedier than Firefox 2.x
    2) Liked the interface

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Most speed issues are plugin/extensions misbehaving.

try this.

firefox -safe-mode

more info here.
    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Troubleshooting+extensions+and+themes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

No problem for me. Using it on my laptop and office pc as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Tried it on:
    • XP: worked fine
    • Vista: worked fine
    • openSUSE Linux: worked fine
    • OS X Leopard: worked grand but scrolling is a little jumpy
    In all cases, pages are rendering very quickly and only one crash to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I'm getting pissed of with it crashing all the time, a couple of times a session but apart from that I'm happy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Works fine here, Vista x64 :), very fast too

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

Working perfectly for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

burgess1 wrote: »
    Working perfectly for me.

Same here, no problems at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

ARGH! It's started acting up.

No matter what page I'm on, the address bar displays the last address I typed in and I'm unable to stop, refresh and go back/forward.

Not sure what's wrong with it but I don't want to use Internet Explorer so I've downloaded Safari for Windows and I'm using it for the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

Using it on Ubuntu 8.04 I find that it freezes briefly when I open links it a new tab. It's only a second or two but the delay is just long enough to be noticable and annoy me, to the point I'm probably going to switch to Opera.

Deadeyes wrote: »
    Using it on Ubuntu 8.04 I find that it freezes briefly when I open links it a new tab. It's only a second or two but the delay is just long enough to be noticable and annoy me, to the point I'm probably going to switch to Opera.
    I'm guessing you have a dodgy plugin/addon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Fine on windows except my own bloody website won't load (along with a shed load of other flash based sites I have to add).

An absolute dog for me on OSX 10.5.3 though, after about two hours it uses about 50-90% cpu and has to be force quit before going through the same cycle again. Also has the same issue on the mac as regards flash sites not loading. No crashes or hangs on the flash sites, they just pause at the loading animation and stay there forever.

Have you tried disable any extensions or themes you're using?

Sherifu wrote: »
    I'm guessing you have a dodgy plugin/addon.
    I would've of thought that too, except I only have fairly standard ones:
    FlashBlock
    AdBlock Plus
    WebDeveloper

Still now you've put the idea in my head I'll remove them to see what happens. Also I suppose need to checkout if I've set the max_connections and pipelining in the about:config

Deadeyes wrote: »
    I would've of thought that too, except I only have fairly standard ones:
    FlashBlock
    AdBlock Plus
    WebDeveloper

Still now you've put the idea in my head I'll remove them to see what happens. Also I suppose need to checkout if I've set the max_connections and pipelining in the about:config
    Try ff in safe mode.

It turned out that my problem related to having gfx.color_management.enabled set to true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

It runs perfectly for me except on sites with fixed backgrounds...

Then it's like FireSnail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

cool for me

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

is it not still in test mode anyways?

and original poster, cant remember your name, and dont wana check, what os are you using???

you may just have some bad settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Works fairly OK on my Ubuntu 8.04, but occasionally locks up completely and have to xkill it. Worse, in some of these lock-ups it takes Ubuntu with it- terminals won't open, i always end up rebooting :) But that's fairly rare!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Clearly you guys already have it downloaded but has anyone noticed that explorer is not allowing access to the download page on the mozilla website?

Anywhere else I can get firefox?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭RnR

Can anyone let me know why I should use FF rather than Safari?
    Using Leopard OSX 10.5.3
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

RnR wrote: »
    Can anyone let me know why I should use FF rather than Safari?
    Using Leopard OSX 10.5.3
    Thanks.

Personally, I love the advertisement blocker available in firefox. I'm not that computer savvy though so that's the only real benefit I find. Oh, and the fact that it's platform independent so I can have my interweb browser feel the same whatever operating system I'm using. I like that too.

Advertisement