Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin in September for work, advise needed please.

Options
  • 23-06-2008 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi, I will be starting my first real job out of college near Stephens green this September. I need some advise on looking for somewhere to live.

So my questions are:

1.) What areas would most people in my situation be commuting from? I'd like to try and keep my travel time to a minimum.

2.) When is the best time to start looking for a place? 1 month before I need it due to peoples notice periods?

3.) How easy is it to find a place and get it? Should I expect to have to do multiple viewings, what's the rental market like at the minute?

4.) Are the websites like Daft the best place to look to try and find somewhere?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭skooterblue

Good god, you sound so green, no offence. You are going to be on a very steep learning curve. Have you never rented before?

1.) What areas would most people in my situation be commuting from? I'd like to try and keep my travel time to a minimum.
    Sometimes closest isnt always fastest. If you were on a dart line you would be faster than living closer than commuting by bus.

2.) When is the best time to start looking for a place? 1 month before I need it due to peoples notice periods?
    If you take a place you need 1 months rent in advance and another months deposit. Go and crash with a friend for a week before you are due to star work. find out where is a good place to rent. when you are looking at an area
    What is the transport like? Where is the nearest ATM? What is the general athmosphere of the area? What does the place look like at night? if you are house sharing ask the professions of the people. if they sound similar to you you you will probably get on well with them. Certain groups of people "have reputations" so as not to stigmatise I wont mention group I have lesser opinions of. I have rented with Nurses and they love to party hard but can be very caring and advising. Political types can keep you up all night into the small hours. Anyone in health care/ social services are lovley people to live with but can come in drained.

3.) How easy is it to find a place and get it? Should I expect to have to do multiple viewings, what's the rental market like at the minute?
    Daft.ie is the best place to start and buy your self a good street map it should be under a tenner. I have rented for 10 years. I find private land lords are either or, that is you either have an excellent landlord or a ****e one there is no in between. Either way you got a lot of footwork to do. Letting agents are snake oil men only one step secondhand car salesmen. Dont be rushed into signing anything. When you walk in first impression are lasting. beware of open windows, and fresh pain (usually hiding damp).

4.) Are the websites like Daft the best place to look to try and find somewhere?
    Daft is the ONLY place to look and word of mouth.

Good luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

Good god, you sound so green, no offence. You are going to be on a very steep learning curve. Have you never rented before?

:D:D No offence taken. I've rented as needed for college in the past, usually with friends. I've never rented in Dublin before though. Thanks, some good advice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The Luas goes straight into stephen's green, it takes 25 mins from Sandyford to get there, so anywhere along the green line should suit you.

There are lots of cheap apartments going for rent in the Beacon in Sandyford (due to oversupply), most of them brand new, and high spec, right on the Luas line. Dundrum also has a glut of new apartments going for rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bobcarpo

A friend of mine lives in the beacon in sandyford, up there last weekend, apartments there are very nice and relatively cheap for Dublin. The Luas makes town very accessible.

Make sure and view a number of places before deciding i'd say as there are lots of accommodation available now so you don't have to take the first thing that comes along!

bob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Given the location I'd consider living within walking distance. It might cost slightly more to live in a central area but when you factor in cost of commuting, to your sanity as well as pocket, its definitely worth it.
    If you don't want to live in city centre places like Ranelagh are 15-20 mins walk away and nice area to live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Schnork

For someone moving to Dublin for the first time and working for the first time, I'd say living close to town and Stephen's Green would make life more fun and less stressful!
    Ranelagh is dear though! I was in college in Aungier St and wanted to live in Ranelagh; which is a great area and within walking distance of Stephen's Green-but it was too expensive for me. I moved a little further west to Harolds Cross, which is nearly as close to town but much cheaper.

Advertisement