Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT Thottling

Options
  • 22-06-2008 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

OK BT started throttling my line yesterday, its now only getting 12kb/s down

I was just wondering if i have to wait til the end of the month to get my full download speed back, or is it operated on a rolling month?

Also, i doubt i'll change ISP, but if i did what would you guys recommend? Smart is not available in Carlow. No wireless ISPs either.

My upload is now quicker than my download, first time i've ever been able to say that :pac:

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Rolling.

Just have to wait until your 30 day total drops below 100gigs or so. It's happened to me twice now but I've learned to keep an eye on it and not download everything I see. It was a pain in the ass to begin with but I've gotten used to it.

Couldn't tell you what providers are available in Carlow. Don't think Magnet are operating out there but you could check their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Phlann wrote: »
    Rolling.

Just have to wait until your 30 day total drops below 100gigs or so. It's happened to me twice now but I've learned to keep an eye on it and not download everything I see. It was a pain in the ass to begin with but I've gotten used to it.

Couldn't tell you what providers are available in Carlow. Don't think Magnet are operating out there but you could check their site.

I've never had the login details for the usage page, my dad ordered the broadband back in the day and never took down the user and pass

If i ring esat tomorrow could they give me the user pass for the usage page?

How much GBs does it reset by each day? If my usage was at 105GB how long would it take to drop?

Thanks for the info so far :)

Yeah they reset my password for me when I forgot it. Try to get a copy of the bill though so you can confirm your account details to the support guy if he asks.

I assume your total d/l will drop by the amount you downloaded on the first day of the rolling month. So if your total was 105gigs, 10 gigs of which was downloaded on the 1st day, your total tomorrow would drop to 95.

Unfortunately BT haven't yet given us a rolling 30 day usage page (only calendar month) so I have no way of confirming that. It seems to work that way from what I've observed but I honestly can't be sure.

OK well my speeds are back to normal now. Thank fook.

So even if i get the usage page thingy going, it only counts up to 30GB anyways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

How much GBs does it reset by each day? If my usage was at 105GB how long would it take to drop?

:)

If you downloaded 105gb in three weeks then that means that in 30 days you may have downloaded 140 gbs. One days throttling is not bad for that amount. I've had 2 three week throttling experiences since the end of March.
    I thought they'd cut me off after a 100gb. I better start downloading more stuff if I can go to 140gb.

• Advertisement

So even if i get the usage page thingy going, it only counts up to 30GB anyways?

No, but it'll only show you how much you've downloaded from 1st June to 30th June, it resets to 0 at the start of the next month so you won't be able to see your rolling total, unfortunately.

Blindpew, I wouldn't be too sure about that. The first time I got throttled I was told I was on 135gigs, but the second time I was keeping an eye on it and it seemed like I was throttled way earlier. Think it was around 110.

It's possible their system only checks your account at scheduled times rather than automatically throttling you once you exceed the limit.

You're right, I don't take anything for granted anymore with BT. My own method now is to take a screen shot of my usage once a week. That way I can keep some kind of record of the 30 day period. I used to have a program called broadband monitor pro which was great but doesn't work on vista. I havn't come across a similar program that does. I'd say that 120gbs is the cut off point as it keeps them up to NTLs allowance. I could be wrong though as I often am.

bw meter is pretty good

bw meter is pretty good

Very good, I just installed it. It seem to do what the previous program I used did. Thanks for the tip.

Advertisement