Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia

Options
  • 22-06-2008 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Ok

Here goes

Im thinking about packing everything up here and moving away

Oz is top of my list at present

However, i like to be secure, ie, im not going there to travel, i want to get a good job and live there!

My mate reckons (he recently came home from oz and is going back) that alli have to do is

Get a 1-2 year visa
    Find an IT job (i have an honours degree)
    The company will like me and sponsor me and i dont have to worry about skilled visas

Now my fear,

Sell everythign i own, leave my job (which is a very good job)

Go to oz, dont get sponsorhsip, have to come back home to nothing

Arghhhhhhhhhh

What u guys think, he said loads of his mates have gotten sponsorship from comapnies in Sydney!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There's an awful lot of threads on this forum about moving to Australia. You should have a read through those first.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

bob04 wrote: »
    Ok

Here goes

However, i like to be secure, ie, im not going there to travel, i want to get a good job and live there!

My mate reckons (he recently came home from oz and is going back) that alli have to do is

Get a 1-2 year visa
    The company will like me and sponsor me and i dont have to worry about skilled visas

Now my fear,

Arghhhhhhhhhh

What u guys think, he said loads of his mates have gotten sponsorship from comapnies in Sydney!!

I done exactly that and have no regrets. I'm earning 3 times what I was in Dublin. I work in IT. There is a way better quality of life here. Sorry for the short sentences but you need a bit of encouragement. Go for it. It will change your life...for the better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

bob04 wrote: »
    Ok

Here goes

Get a 1-2 year visa

Now my fear,

Arghhhhhhhhhh

I think you have it all worked out there, however why dont you just go for a year have a laugh then see if a company will help you stay.

If your young enough to get a working holiday that is

If your good enough for an oz company to keep you then ask for a leave of absence. Surely you firm would want you back.

Depends on what you own , if its a playstation and a 92 nissan micra I think your safe enough risking the trip.

If its a house , chances are you will get shafted on the sale at present so tread carefully , try renting...

Think about friends family etc ... best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Zambia232 wrote: »

Depends on what you own , if its a playstation and a 92 nissan micra I think your safe enough risking the trip.

:D:D Class. Though what if it's a playstation 3? Or what if the Micra has alloys and a bodykit?? Well? Not so easy a choice now, is it??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

daycent wrote: »
    :D:D Class. Though what if it's a playstation 3? Or what if the Micra has alloys and a bodykit?? Well? Not so easy a choice now, is it??

Take it from someone who did it last year just do it. You will not regret it. Were having a ball. It's middle of winter here now and it's still warmer than Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

F*ck that its freezing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Beautybeanie

Ok

Here goes

Get a 1-2 year visa
    A two year visa does not mean you work in the country for two years.
    Degrees aren't the focus. Experience is.

Not necessarily so. The company has to prove that you can do a better job than an Australian with the same qualifications. Difficult in this current climate. I'm not saying that it's impossible. What I am saying is that it's not that simple.

You don't have to sell everything you own. You can come out for a year and put your stuff in storage.

There is no such thing as security. Learn this and you'll do well.

Advertisement