Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

goretex boots online?

Options
  • 22-06-2008 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

i require a pair of goretex boots ,but dont currently have the 180-250 quid for a pair in dub city center. has anyone bought online for cheaper, and if so where would you recommend?

boot recommendations are also welcome. looking for a good walking boot thats waterproof and provides ankle protection/support.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I can't see how you'd buy boots online unless you've tried them on in a store first. Fit is very different very everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

BostonB wrote: »
    I can't see how you'd buy boots online unless you've tried them on in a store first. Fit is very different very everyone.

+1

It is always best to get your boots fitted in a real world store. I would not recommend going online for what is the most essential item of your walking kit.

For 180-250 you should be able to get a decent pair of boots with good ankle support at any reputable oudoors store. As for brands - well whatever shoe you are fitted with and feels comfortable is the one for you. Places like the great outdoors and 53 degress etc would only be stocking "named" brands anyway so you should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

thanks for the advice folks. ended up going for these after trying them on:

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/shopping_admin/product_details/product.cgi?product=HWF002

one thing i forgot to ask, do i need to treat the boots with anything before my first outing?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

good boot choice, if slightly pricy.
    you shouldn't need to treat these before your first trip. key to making boots last is keep them clean. should be the first thing you do when you get home (after a cupa of course) is clean your kit. boots are no exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

fguihen wrote: »
    thanks for the advice folks. ended up going for these after trying them on:

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/shopping_admin/product_details/product.cgi?product=HWF002

one thing i forgot to ask, do i need to treat the boots with anything before my first outing?

Excellent choice of boot.

You won't need to treat them just yet, but as LostIrishBoy says, clean them when you get home. Irish bog/peat filtered water will destroy a good pair of boots if you don't clean them and treat them with something like NikWax leather conditioner. Just wipe the boots to get rid of mud and dirt, then give them a good dose with the conditioner before allowing them air dry. Don't put them beside a fireplace or a heater.

Enjoy the new boots - They're worth every cent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement