Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driveaway Awnings - recommendations / tips?

Options
  • 22-06-2008 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a driveaway awning to extend the living space on our motorhome. So far, I can only find 2 types that reach to 2.9 metres - the Movelite XL and Khyam Motordome . I need this height as my van is a high door model.

Does anyone have either of these, or experience of adding an "extension" to a motorhome. From what I can find - there is talk of throw-over straps and "figure of 8" rails - can anyone enlighten on the best options and how the figure of 8 fits.

Thanks.

Z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Hi Z,I'm looking to buy the Khyam one,its alot more expensive but all the feedback I've had ,points to it being a much better tent.

As for attatching it,I think there are several different ways,depending on the set up of your van,figure 8's / j strips/c strips, throw over straps.

The figure 8 system(I believe) works by you threading one halve of the 8 to your awning and the other halve to a gutter rail or existing fiamma awning attatched to your van,have a look here,It may be some help
    http://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-82.html

Thres also a few solid ridge pole awnings that are drive away that I've looked into(Harrison being one brand) main disadvantages for me were weight,size and cost!! Plus the dome type awnings seemingly hold up much better in wind..
    Good luck

Anyone know of a Khyam supplier here in Ireland,North or South?
    Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

Thanks for the info, the Khyam seems too low for our door ....Z:)

Hi Z,are you looking at the motordome classic or the excelsior? the second is higher,if this is still not high enough maybes get a tent!!!!
    The height of my door wiil be very tight to open but I plan to "do something clever" to remedy this,I'll let you know...
    good luck

I was out measuring last night - and it's the Movelite that will fit - also figured out the figure of 8 thingy!

I have a Fiamma 45 and it has the track slot.

I'll be interested in the door solution - I have heard tell of a Fiamma Door Roller - but it's apparently out of production.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi Aerosol,

I went for the Movelite, and took her out for the last 2 weeks in Tralee.

Here's a photo of it (Movelite) - a dream to erect and even attach and detach. What a benefit given the rain we encountered. I actually came home with the 2 kids I went down with (previously they would have been on the endangered species list during bad weather).

Thanks for your help and advice.:cool:

Hi Z,glad you got sorted,I did too,got the khyam excelsior.Very happy with it.took it to France with us for 3 weeks last month(no rain!!!) but was great for shade:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Aerosol, could you tell me where you got your Khyam Excelsior, ie is there a dealer in Ireland.
    Also, is your camper LHD or RHD. The reason I ask is that I want to get the optional bedroom but as my camper is LHD it looks to me as though the door of the camper would open into that area. Hope that question makes sense to you?
    Thanks.

Hi Loobylou,I bought in from a shop in UK,I'll look out the invoice for you,can't remeber where from.When I was looking,loads of places sold it but none in stock...
    I have a LHD.Don't have the inner tent(no where had that in stock!) but don't think that should matter re hanging it and restricting your door.Think you can hang it either side.

Couldn't find a dealer here,chances are it'd still be cheaper even with postage from the UK:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

we bought a drive away movelight xl at the nec show in birmingham in october £99 it also includes an inner tent which doubles up as an extra bedroom if friends come to stay. fantastic job, really easy to put up and take down and put away. we attach it to our fiamma rail and it fits like a dream

• Advertisement
Advertisement