Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange HDD Throttling

Options
  • 22-06-2008 5:01pm
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

I'm using a Dell Poweredge SC440 as a File server / Folding box and I sometimes notice poor performance when copying files, I just assumed it was my network but today I was copying files between two drives on the server and it took maybe 6 minutes for a 350mb file!

So I downloaded HDtune and ran it for every drive, 3 drives performed as expected, but two drives ( one of them IDE and one of them SATA ) were capped to exactly 2 MB/s

I ran some diagnostics on the drives and they appear to be fine so I think they are being throttled for some reason, The server has 4 sata ports but only 2 drive bays, I have the other drives in caddies. Could it be a Dell "feature" to cap the drives to encourage people to go for a more expensive controller or something?

Anyone encounter this before? Any solutions or will I have to buy a sata controller? Its probably cheaper buy a 1TB drive to replace 3 of the drives :/

Advertisement