Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeps switching off - Ahhhhhhhh

Options
  • 22-06-2008 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Bought a small Advent laptop for the wife about 4 months ago, I know it a budget machine but surely shouldnt be having the following issues. Machine keeps switching off at irregular intervals. At first I though it was her doing something and didnt give it much attention but I have used the machine several times recently and it drives me mental.

I hesitant going back to PC World to get the run around for several weeks. I maybe able to sort it myself with the help of someone that knows a little about such machines.

It doesnt seem to be an over-heating issue as it can switch off after 5 mins or 5 hours. Funny thing is that if the machine has something running like downloading music for example I could leave it on for days and it wont go off.

I have looked at the obvious like loose connections etc

Can anyone help, is there anything I can look at on the system.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Could be dodgy ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Thanks Sherifu. Is there any way I can check myself ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Thanks Sherifu. Is there any way I can check myself ?
    Memtest is the most advanced memory testing tool, if your machine has windows vista do a search in start menu for memory diagnostic and run vistas own one which is decent enough aswell

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

yo yo thanks for that. I ran the Vista test and it came through ok, no issues according to that test. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Check your power settings Start > Conrtol Panel > Power Options and see if you are set to go into hibernation. The scree,n hard disk and computer can be set here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

does it shutdown\restart when its on the battery or AC power? does it happen when you are running something that's using the CPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Do this First :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055274237

It may find something before you have to go fiddling with ram

Advertisement