Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midnight meat train

Options
  • 21-06-2008 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭

Older readers (35+) will know this straight away. Younger dudes will probably know through their dedication. Based on a short story from Clive Barkers Books of Blood, this movie should rock.

Trailer below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pifkqLq6c0

Looks like straight to DVD. What a pity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Vinnie Jones and Clive Barker, match made in heaven right? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Oooh, I read this ages ago (I would come under the younger class asI'm only 22). Books of Blood in general were quite good. I think Clive Barkers great imagination is sometimes his undoing. In his longer books the plot gets more and more unbelievable and stops making any sense. I prefer his short stories. I remember liking this...but Vinny Jones ? Really ? Hmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Tusky wrote: »
    In his longer books the plot gets more and more unbelievable and stops making any sense. I prefer his short stories. I remember liking this...but Vinny Jones ? Really ? Hmm

Totally agree.His books can be very convoluted but there are some excellent shorts in the books of blood.Its a wonder that there havnt been feck all of them filmed up to now.Well,that I know of anyway.Anyone shed any light on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Watched this just there, finally. It's brilliant, but disgustingly gruesome. Very well made, most certainly better then a lot of stuff doing the rounds in the genre lately. Wasn't overly happy with Vinnie Jones initially but he plays the role extremely well. Looks like a natural born murderer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I was disappointed with this. far too much CGI use for the gore effects. I was waiting ages to see this as well but just couldn't get into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I think I did a more detailed write up on this somewhere on boards previously but ill say it again. I saw this film not expecting anything from it at all, and was very surprised by it.

It deviates reasonably from the source material but seems to find its own path to the same sort of result.

Yes, the CGI gore was a bit of a pain but I thought the rest of the film was structured very well and there were some great tense scenes (like
    the one in the meat factory where he is trying to avoid mahogony i nthe room of hanging carasses
    )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I watched an R5 download of it which I think helped towards me not spotting any CGI issues and I loved it. Hadn't read the source material so I won't comment in that field but I just loved the unfolding nature to the film. From a tense build littered with red stuff onto a truly inspired ending, good film!

Was a bit disappointed by this and totally agree with Kingp35 on the CGI.Personally no horror worth its salt should have CGI for blood and gore(IMO),maybe for some huge monsters say like in The Mist its understandable but can still be a bit intrusive(although The Mist in B+W really helps in this regard)
    I also cant stand Vinnie Jones.They could have cast a total unknown in the role rather than this 1 hit wonder hack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I thought Vinnie Jones was excellent. I'm not a big fan either but he suited the role perfectly. The man's definitely got presence.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

I read a `LONG` clive barker book a while back and thought it quite good. I havet read the books of blood though, might tryget my hands on em.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

I read a `LONG` clive barker book a while back and thought it quite good. I havet read the books of blood though, might tryget my hands on em.

Do definitely invest in them, they are well worth the read.. my favourite story is 'The Yattering and Jack' which was very funny and well written, they turned it into a graphic novel and I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy despite numerous bidding on ebay!.. :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

I was in a mates house at the weekend and he showed me a few clips from this one. Looks like a class movie. He gave it to me to watch but so far have not had the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Watched it today, I am a huge Clive fan ( and under 35 :P ) and I have to day I was not disapointed by it at all.
    Yes it was always going to have been filled out to be a movie but I do think it remained nicely true to the short story; the feel and atmosphere was wonderful.
    The short story is a favourite of mine and I expected for them to fúck it up and they didn't.
    I wasn't turned off by the use of CGI at all it made the impacts great to watch and the gore was at a right level
    wasn't too much which I find to be turn off in most recent horror films.

Over all I am happy with it which frankly I am shocked at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

I read the short story many years ago. I liked the movie. It was as faithful to the story as it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

Great story, good flic. Must dig out the book sometime, now that I've got a library card :) Didn't notice too much CG gore, but I was watching a terribly streamed version with a 4 second sound delay, so who's to say?

Good fun all the same. Splat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Crazystars

I think it is awesome, but I couldnt help to notice its the same map from midnight club 2 just with better graphics so I wonder if some of the old MC2 glitches will work. Either way an awesome game.

Crazystars wrote: »
    I think it is awesome, but I couldnt help to notice its the same map from midnight club 2 just with better graphics so I wonder if some of the old MC2 glitches will work. Either way an awesome game.

Emmm.

:confused:

Advertisement