Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found: black lab in Cork area

Options
  • 21-06-2008 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone! I read the charter and didn't see anything about posting found animals, sorry if I was wrong.

I found a black labrador wandering the Skehard Road in Blackrock today. He is about 1-2 years old, with a lovely temperment, very friendly, housetrained and gets along well with other dogs. We're taking care of him in the house but we won't be able to hold onto him for too long. His back legs were a bit cut up but he seems well groomed and cared for and I have a hunch this is a much loved pet that someone is no doubt concerned about, so I want to find his family ASAP, because I know if my dog went missing I'd be beside myself :( He's not microchipped, and wasn't wearing a collar. I've attached some pics. He really is a lovely dog and I hope we can find his owners!

Please PM me if you think you recognise him!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

post about him on http://www.lostandfound.ie
    also notify all your local SPCA's, vets and dog pound and leave your details and a description of the dog with them in case their owner calls them so they can forward them on to you. Also put posters up around your area, in the local shops etc. Good luck!

also, another thing I would do personally is try and find any sort of mark on the dog and ask the owner to mention any specific marks or something like that in case it was just somebody trying to get a free dog and hadn't lost one at all, but that's just me lol.

He is gorgeous btw so it wouldn't be too awful to keep him if owners don't surface lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Done, also put ads up on that site and other places like the ISPCA and spoke to the Vet. Going to print up posters tomorrow and stick them up.

The problem with the animal shelter here is it is closed all weekend and they don't even have anyone I can ring :( he is an amazingly well-behaved dog, very playful and affectionate and isn't a bit bothered by our Westie, so I have a gut feeling that he is missed by someone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

please please do not hand the dog into the cspca.
    re leaving details with people that might be good to contact
    the douglas vet at 4893033
    the animal care society at 4551781
    dawg action welfare group at 086 3457488
    They will keep your details and that of the dog so worth a phone call
    if the dog is local and not stolen from elsewhere in ireland maybe the local post person will know it to see.
    long shot.. the guide dog organisation on the model farm road may be of help..of course they might have had all theirs microchipped

Don't worry, I'm not taking him to the CSPCA, I certainly don't want to see a happy healthy dog get put down. I took him to the Douglas Vet to see if he was microchipped (unfortunately he wasn't) and they've taken the details. The Animal Care Society is going to take him tomorrow if we can't find the owner. I'd love to take care of him for a while longer but our house and garden isn't big enough for a dog that size with so much energy and I'm leaving the country next week :(

I hadn't heard of the Dawg Welfare group, but I will give them a ring tomorrow! Didn't think of the postman either, that's a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

he is a lucky dog that you found him.
    glad to hear that the acs can take him in as he certainly wont be put down.
    Cheers and good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

By the way, have you crossposted this in the Regions/Cork board here?

A nice lady from the Animal Care Society took him today. I'm so sad to see him go :( I absolutely fell in love with him! But we already have a dog and a very small garden, so he's better off, and they're going to see if he's claimed and eventually rehome him somewhere suitable where he'll be happy.

Apparently he's been around much longer than we thought, so we're starting to suspect he was abandoned- someone working in the garage where my mum went to put up a notice, told us that someone had put up a notice about the same dog a week ago, and they'd let him back out and taken down the notice (how could someone do that? I don't know). The woman who took him today said the cuts/scratches on his legs looked like he'd been thrown from a car :( apparently they see HUGE amounts of well cared for labradors abandoned once they start getting big, people buy them thinking of the Andrex puppy without realising they'll eventually end up with a large dog. Hopefully this isn't the case, and we're leaving up the notices everywhere to see if anyone recognises him, but there seems to be absolutely no one in the area missing a black labrador.

At least he's going somewhere he'll be well looked after and guaranteed to go to a home that will take care of him :) Thanks for the help people!

Advertisement